Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths

K R Johnson

John D. Verhoeven Emeritus Professor Iowa State University, worked with bladesmiths Howard Clark and Al Pendray. They encouraged him to write this book.

200 page pdf from germany of Verhoevens
Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others
who Heat Treat and Forge Steel
http://www.feine-klingen.de/PDFs/verhoeven.pdf

Last edited:
Since this was originally posted Mr. Verhoeven this he has turned it into a book, "Steel Metalurgy for the Non-Metalurgist". As a result there is a good chance that this link violates the publisher's copywright even though the link existed before the book. Also, if you purchase the above book Mr. Verhoeven will recieve monitary compensation for all the hours that he spent putting it together as well as your gratitude. I highly recommend the publication in that it very informative and organized to assist in study. I seriously doubt that it is as comprehensive as a semister in college on the subject but it gives a well grouned knowledge in the subject.

Doug Lester

Since this was originally posted Mr. Verhoeven this he has turned it into a book, "Steel Metalurgy for the Non-Metalurgist". As a result there is a good chance that this link violates the publisher's copywright even though the link existed before the book.

Doug Lester

From the very first page of the document at that link.

My professional career has been supported by publicly funded institutions.
Therefore, I grant any user copyright permission to download and print a copy of this book for personal use or any teacher to do the same for their students.

The link posted is copyright free for non commercial use. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

The article posted, and the book you mention are completely separate works, with separate copyright attributions.

Of course buy the book and read it too, but there is no restriction on the link above for personal use.

Last edited:
Keith, it's good to see you here finally :) you should goto the introduction forum and introduce yourself :)

I have two copies of that book. One stays "rat holed" away for my personal use, and the second copy gets loaned out to students, etc.

This is not something that you want to throw at a "green" bladesmith/knifemaker....it simply confuses them. Once an individual has a couple years of knifemaking experience under their belt, its a good read.

This may be true about the the copyright waver on the site, the point is that once he sold the manuscript to a publisher that copyright may be null and void as the copyright no longer belongs to him but the publisher. The main point of my post was to incourage people the buy the book so that the author gets paid for his efforts. There is no harm in reading the link but I would not go printing off copies and distributing them. A lot of it is about doing the right thing.

Doug Lester

From the very first page of the document at that link.

My professional career has been supported by publicly funded institutions.
Therefore, I grant any user copyright permission to download and print a copy of this book for personal use or any teacher to do the same for their students.

The link posted is copyright free for non commercial use. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

The article posted, and the book you mention are completely separate works, with separate copyright attributions.

Of course buy the book, read the book, buy why try to stop people reading the info that he has seen fit to distribute in the public domain for free?

I have asked you to introduce your self several times. Please do so..

Last edited:
Back