Meat Fork Construction

tkroenlein

I'm thinking about making a couple carving sets. I don't have a clue what is acceptable HT for a fork, or if there are any steel selection caveats to consider. These will be a forged pieces, so I'm looking to make "round" tines and a basically straight, forged finish shank.

Anyone have any tips?

I have made several forks in the manner you describe with mild steel. Al song as you do not make it dainty I do not see why mild steel would not work. I will give you this tip (you may already know this) use a band saw, hack saw or a angle grinder to make your split for your tines. The crotch will be very clean as opposed to splitting with a chisel.

I've made many carving sets and/or forks over the years. Generally two varieties..... 1. "Forged" look, which are not highly finished. 2. Fully finished forks or sets.
For fully finished, just make the fork out of the same steel as the knife, but draw the temper back to a full "spring" temper.

For sets with a forged look, just make the fork out of 3/8" round or square mild/A36. Hot cut or saw the steel down the centerline from one end, for about 2 1/2-3 1/2"....... then open the cut and forge the times. In some cases I will not even round them.....but taper square and then twist the tines..... that will add "grip" to the fork tines. Those are the type of forks I make for BBQ sets, or for a "Pit Boss" sets.

I have made several forks in the manner you describe with mild steel. Al song as you do not make it dainty I do not see why mild steel would not work. I will give you this tip (you may already know this) use a band saw, hack saw or a angle grinder to make your split for your tines. The crotch will be very clean as opposed to splitting with a chisel.

I hadn't thought about the finished result as it pertains to splitting it with the saw, but was planning to do it that way because I stand a better chance of getting the tines even.

i usually just aim for the lowest hardness that wont cause it to get bent, and in my case keep the stainless knife steel stainless... lowest hardness, because i want the knife edge to stand up better in a knife to fork contact situation.

Back