McLeish KITH 2020

Currently we are having it intermittently, due to our super inefficient goverment owned ESKOM. The woes of loadshedding due to aged, buggered generation equipment and large scale mismanagement, with a touch of graft, state capture and good old corrupt officials. Venezuela count two! It makes for good reading, you must google it some time.:mad:o_O

I have a man, (and I don't use that term lightly), who works for me who has become my friend - he is from South Africa and his stories are often sad. There was great promise and such a beautiful country - as you said ruined by corruption. I love sitting at one of Izak's 'Bring and Bri's" (?) - get a little potato vodka in him and just listen. When it get's late and it's just he and I - he talks of his time of being a Buffalo Soldier...

Stay safe Maker Johan!

Not to divert you, oh olden one, but the petty is ready for ht. I've started on the santoku. Here's the pics. First one is pretty obvious, second one I'm trying to show the scribe line where the bevels will meet.DSC01573.JPGDSC01574.JPG

Another question: So you scribe the middle where the bevels will meet - do you go ahead and file/grind it all the way to meeting before or after you heat treat? If after - do you put any secondary bevel on the edge at all before HT or do all your secondary/final 'edge bevel' after heat treating?

Another question: So you scribe the middle where the bevels will meet - do you go ahead and file/grind it all the way to meeting before or after you heat treat? If after - do you put any secondary bevel on the edge at all before HT or do all your secondary/final 'edge bevel' after heat treating?
That scribe line acts as a guide. Generally , I want that beveled edge about half a dime thickness before ht. Final edge after ht. Don't worry grasshopper , we will get there. Remember , patience is not only a virtue , it is a necessity in this craft. Just ask ol' four fingers.

Here is a jig tDSC01575.JPGhat will assist you late r in your career of knife building, it's a sanding platform. Just a plank of scrap wood, a good clamp, panavise to position it. spray bottle of windex for lube.

After filing for a while more, I'm closer to my pre-ht goal of 1/2 a dimes thickness. after all a nickle is pretty thick!
Just joshin y'all. All this filing makes me goofier than usual!
The edge thickness measures .053 . that is the thickness of a dime. So, a little more and we're ready for ht.
Gonna be tomorrow, probably , because it's 104* and so smokey I cain't even breathe. (COPD ya know)DSC01577.JPG

Back