McLeish KITH 2020

Nice @Bruce McLeish - I cannot wait to use them and show 'em off - so question: and I warned ya...

My assumption is that your jig is like most I see on the ol' net and am currently building with pointers from you (THANKS)

Observation:
The steel rod the file is attached to is ~36" long and it travels to the viewer's right at a distance of what, 6 or 8" as needed as you file? I believe that the tip of the file (or edge of cutting surface) moves in an arc - meaning if I attached a pencil to tip of file - I could draw a circle with a radius of ~36" + file protrusion.

Question(s):
*How do you maintain a straight horizontal (tang to tip) bevel line with the file moving in an arc? (Angle blade? too small distance to notice?)

*Could you (or do you), by constantly (or frequently) altering the length of the file-to-eyebolt lever, find that you are able to curve that bevel line with adequate precision? Like on purpose with intent?

Thanks Bruce!!

Nice @Bruce McLeish - I cannot wait to use them and show 'em off - so question: and I warned ya...

My assumption is that your jig is like most I see on the ol' net and am currently building with pointers from you (THANKS)

Observation:
The steel rod the file is attached to is ~36" long and it travels to the viewer's right at a distance of what, 6 or 8" as needed as you file? I believe that the tip of the file (or edge of cutting surface) moves in an arc - meaning if I attached a pencil to tip of file - I could draw a circle with a radius of ~36" + file protrusion.

Question(s):
*How do you maintain a straight horizontal (tang to tip) bevel line with the file moving in an arc? (Angle blade? too small distance to notice?)

*Could you (or do you), by constantly (or frequently) altering the length of the file-to-eyebolt lever, find that you are able to curve that bevel line with adequate precision? Like on purpose with intent?

Thanks Bruce!!
remember - your are only following a portion of the arc - like on your petty that I'm working on the total file travel (left to right) is about 5"DSC01570.JPGThe swing (increase or decrease ) of the bevel line is controlled by moving the blade fore and aft and left to right. the lines you can see on the "grinding bed" are registration references for not only that movement, but when you turn over the blade to do the other bevel.
Does that make it any clearer?

yep - so you can control the bevel to some degree - but how much? (really 'I' not 'You" - big difference) I'm getting some Lowes mystery steel tonight and trying to grind bevels - and trying a curved one as well - prolly file grinding tomorrow

yep - so you can control the bevel to some degree - but how much? (really 'I' not 'You" - big difference) I'm getting some Lowes mystery steel tonight and trying to grind bevels - and trying a curved one as well - prolly file grinding tomorrow
you can control the bevel completely. When your blade is flat on the grinding table, I bring the file down (flat) on the blade. Then, I raise the file (turnscrew at forward end of file ) to whatever bevel is called for. See Online Knife Grind Calculator - D. Comeau I use a protractor to measure the angle. Then the main variable is the position of the blade on the bed. Better explanation?
I neglected to mention another piece of information ( happens when ya get old !) Before you start filing, mark the blade (edge and side) with dykem blue or red. Then scribe a line on the center of the blade . this is where the two bevels meet. also , scribe a line (use dividers) showing the bevel on the blade. Helps let ya know when to change the position of the blade on the table.

Last edited:
yep - as I move that blade towards me and away from me to obtain a curved bevel (assuming the bevel curve is more severe than the blade curve - they diverge so to speak) - I suspect I also need to readjust the 'angle' as one side of the triangle has changed? True? I may not be 'splainin' myself very good - and hijacking your WIP - probably basic stuff to most on here but me...

yep - as I move that blade towards me and away from me to obtain a curved bevel (assuming the bevel curve is more severe than the blade curve - they diverge so to speak) - I suspect I also need to readjust the 'angle' as one side of the triangle has changed? True? I may not be 'splainin' myself very good - and hijacking your WIP - probably basic stuff to most on here but me...
you splainin fine, Lucy. We are in a vast minority here doing all hand work. Prolly mucho different on a variable everything grinder. I don't know ... never touched one! And you are correct about adjustments. after a while, you'll start to anticipate when adjustments need to be made. I think that you'll be rather pleasantly surprised at the amount of control you have. Not to mention the quiet and lack of dust.

you splainin fine, Lucy. We are in a vast minority here doing all hand work. Prolly mucho different on a variable everything grinder. I don't know ... never touched one! And you are correct about adjustments. after a while, you'll start to anticipate when adjustments need to be made. I think that you'll be rather pleasantly surprised at the amount of control you have. Not to mention the quiet and lack of dust.
I am looking forward to the journey - we will see if I can maintain the 'all hand work' - but just to be clear - I'ma using my angle grinder to rough cut the profile. I'd use a band saw if I had one.... it is on the list

Currently we are having it intermittently, due to our super inefficient goverment owned ESKOM. The woes of loadshedding due to aged, buggered generation equipment and large scale mismanagement, with a touch of graft, state capture and good old corrupt officials. Venezuela count two! It makes for good reading, you must google it some time.:mad:o_O

Currently we are having it intermittently, due to our super inefficient goverment owned ESKOM. The woes of loadshedding due to aged, buggered generation equipment and large scale mismanagement, with a touch of graft, state capture and good old corrupt officials. Venezuela count two! It makes for good reading, you must google it some time.:mad:o_O
sorry to hear that. where I live, it is not unusual to lose power for a week or more in the winter due to the storms here in the mountains.
I was under the impression that most things there were pretty ok. Just the first time (today) that I made a mistake !
I will google it, as I like to learn!

Back