Marks and stencils, help!

LiamLynch

I intend to mark the next knife which leaves my shop but I don't really have a mark. I don't know where to get stencils made in the UK so I guess it's across the pond we go. I could do with some help designing a mark and then I imagine I could do with some guidance on procuring a stencil. I think it's someone called earnie that does very good ones but I don't have the funds and I don't have a printer to make my own. Basically I'm looking for help designing a stencil and looking for someone to then make me said stencil. If any of you guys can help it would be appreciated.

Ernie grospitch of Blue lightning stencil is who your thinking of and he does an excellent job from what I've seen and heard. I will be using his services soon as I am in the market for the same thing, and don't want to spend the time for trial and error on making my own. I even have the photo reactive stencil material... Take a look at his page, it's a bit primitive but you can see examples of stencils he's done and also recommendations for designing a stencil. I designed my own stencil on a free vector design software on my ipad called sketchbook express.
Hope it helps,
Justin

I intend to got to ernie in the future but I'm looking for a cheaper option to use until I start upgrading everything

Liam,
Hi How are you doing? One idea I just thought of that would be low cost for you is to get a Graver and learn how to engrave your initials or Chop on the harden steel. You're young and perhaps there is a local art school of something that you could take a class at? Or get a good old book on it?

This could add to your arsenal of talents that can be used on your knives as well.

You may have no interest in it? I just thought it would be an inexpensive and artistic way to do it.
The late Phil Hartsfield did it that way. Google his name and take a look.

Cheers.

Engraving is something I would like to get into but it seems pretty difficult stuff, I have a vibrating graver but it's not particularly good for marking knives

I intend to got to ernie in the future but I'm looking for a cheaper option to use until I start upgrading everything

Ahh I see now, sorry about that. I'll be honest with ya, etching stencils seem to be the part that gets complicated. It's either expensive, or you get poor results. I assume you already have some type of etcher if your looking into stencils, and the do it yourself route is absolutely the most effective method on the cheap and still achieve quality. I would love to help you out but I am so limited on time that I can't even make them for myself!

If you are referring to not having a dot matrix printer, but have a standard laser jet or ink printer, check out the photo reactive material. Can be done on the cheap and leads to limitless possibilities on making custom stencils in the future. Start up cost is similar to Ernie but leaves room for future stencils to be much, much cheaper.

Here's a really good guide on it from Tracy Mickley himself:
http://www.mickleyknives.com/html/etching_tutorial.html

And also the stencil material (look in the description, LOTS of good info)
http://usaknifemaker.com/etching-supplies-c-53/stencil-material-undeveloped-8-5-x11.html

As for the design, why the octopus? Do you intend on using some type of reference to that in a company name? If not, try to keep it simple. It may be odd to have that on a skinning knife, but pretty cool on a fillet knife. To me simple is better. As far as I'm concerned the artwork is in the blade and I'm simply signing it with an etch.

Here is the one I will be testing out, just my name and where I live.
image.jpg

Basically I have an etching setup, nothing fancy but it should work, I can get ac and dc so it's all good. What I don't have is a printer of any kind, I don't really have access to one either. What I'm after is someone who makes stencils for less than $60 a sheet, I start uni in a few months so its all budgeting.

It's supposed to be the Kraken, a lot of my family and friends have worked at sea and I quite liked the stories about the Kraken. The reason I want some art in the etch is because after discussing it with the old father, we decided that because there aren't really any knife makers in Scotland, people's attitude towards details like that are different to America or Canada and it makes people realise that it has attention to details which would go unnoticed in the actual knife. Also because of my age I think it will make people take what I do more seriously as a business than a hobby with a name signed on it.

Very cool story, that's what I wanted to hear! Actually I work for a company called kraken crushed concrete (neat play on words). I didn't even consider the vast difference in markets and I can appreciate the approach you are taking on the stencil. The design is actually very appealing as it can have a sinister or subtle look depending on the blade it goes on. Plus an octo is a chameleon and will blend into any knife right?:biggrin:

That can also be a powerful marketing tool in some ways BECAUSE you have a story to tell. People will ask about it, without a doubt. Just make sure it's a design you could live with for a long time. Let it soak in and ensure it's what you want. I think a logo that stands the test of time speaks for itself, as opposed to an ever changing design in this industry.

If you find that you can't get anyone to help you out and I have a chance to test some of the material I have, I will let you know and maybe you can shoot me a design that I can throw in with mine. Might be a few days or weeks but I'm hoping to get around to it before I spend the 60 myself, seeing as how I have everything but a light box. Might be a complete failure but who knows. I'll send you a pm if I get around to it, sorry if I don't...
Hope it helped,
Justin

That would be great, thats exactly what I was hoping for. It will be a bit before this batch is ready for marking anyway. If you manage it will be a few days at least before I can get the design because of computers and stuff.

I toyed around with various marks before but I think this on is definitely my favourite. I will try outsome other ideas with it but I reckon I'm pretty close to final.

Hi Liam,

I used to do a little graphic designing in a prior life, so I took the liberty of redrawing your logo thoughts in a vector format, which is what your stencil maker will want. I didn't have the font you used, but that is easily changeable. I'd be happy to work with you to tweak it as needed.

Lynch 1.jpgLynch 2.jpg

Dick

Wow thanks, that will make it all a bit easier. I like how the words underneath it kind of enclose the whole thing. Those are actually really cool, it makes a difference when it's on a computer.

I just placed an order with Ernie. He's been great to deal with, quick replies to my emails and fast turn around. I contacted him Wednesday, by Friday he said they would ship on Monday.

Liam,
I like the Octopus but the legs are too intwined, you will most likely get fuzz over on the leg areas with a electro-chem etch. I would go for a simple line drawing of the Octopus with straight legs like when they are jetting.

I thought of that but I will be using straight FeCl now without electricity which I understand gives a clearer etch because its the electricity causing most of the fuzzing so smaller details will be ok.

I thought of that but I will be using straight FeCl now without electricity which I understand gives a clearer etch because its the electricity causing most of the fuzzing so smaller details will be ok.

Liam,
Give it a go and show us the results. The Jetting Octy will make your knives look faster though. LOL

I have been very lucky in that one Derek Lee has offered to make a stencil of my mark for me. I'm getting all excited now because I'll have knives with my name on.

Back