Marking The Center of The Blade

Thank you Murph and James, I just need to set priorities on what I need to spend money on first.

Jeff

I hear ya Jeff, it's taken me about four years to get where I'm at tool-wise, and I'm far from done.

The drill bits will definitely work and you need 'em anyway. Double-use tools are always good!

I am going to be getting a surface plate and a Height gauge real soon.
But yeah my drill bits have came in real handy!!

I use an adjustable scribe similar to this one to mark edges. They're pricy but work very well and last a long, long time. They're adjustable from a couple thou to a couple inches.

I also use mine to scribe a line in from the spine, on the tang, to help me lay out my pin holes, evenly spaced from the spine. Works even if the spine is curved.

Such a scribe, a basic caliper, and a small mechanic's square, have really helped me a lot. Put 'em on your wish list. :)

Now . . "that marker" . . is the bees knees for sure, thanks for sharing that W us!!! 2thumbs take it 1goodjob1luvsite1nicethread1urock1

Back in the day it was a very common practice for many of the top makers to just eye ball the center line of the blade edge as they were free hand grinding them out.

(that's how I was taught to do it)

A smaller different version of this type of scribe marker was offered back in the day and I really wish I would have had one back then too, it sure would have made life easier!

Thanks big time!

heres a1.50 hight gadge i made from a wood mortice scribe at least the guy at garage sale called it that then placed it in a sanded flat 2/4

Attachments

• 100_0278.jpg
    100_0278.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0280.jpg
    100_0280.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0275.jpg
    100_0275.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
Back