"Markers" for the shop

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Wasn't sure where was best for this.... so its here.

We all do a lot of marking things in our shops....whether it's knife patterns. handle materials, or marking where to drill holes. I just ran through a set of these....and they lasted me over 5 years. They are called "Pica Markers". They have a long, 1.5mm tip..... for close outlines on patterns, have a long reach to mark/trace holes, but here's the best part is...as they wear, the steel "tip holder" recedes to expose more of the tip/nib. The best I can figure, one of these last about 7X as long as a sharpie.....that doesn't have the capabilities. They are pricey..... about $7-$8 each, but after using them, they are just so much better than sharpies. Just wanted to share. ;)
(the closeup of the tip is a bit screwy....but you get the idea)

Those look pretty cool. I currently use the Milwaukee tool permanent markers. They will mark on dust, oil, whatever you need. But as you said, they don't last too long. I will definitely look into those!

I may have to pick one of those up to try out at work. Sometimes we have to pick up holes through some pretty thick material and a Sharpie or scribe just won't cut it. Be great if they came in silver or white too, easier to see on carbon fiber.

I may have to pick one of those up to try out at work. Sometimes we have to pick up holes through some pretty thick material and a Sharpie or scribe just won't cut it. Be great if they came in silver or white too, easier to see on carbon fiber.
This works great for darker material and steel too. It resists heat and does not smear too badly.

As far as I know, the Pica Markers come in Black, Blue, and Red. They also offer some other types of markers that I've not personally seen/used.

I use the SilverStreak leads in Ti "click" bodies that I've made myself, and it's my go to for metal marking in the hot shop. The Pica Markers are pretty much reserved for things in the finish shop, like pattern tracing, marker/transfer holes to drill such as fold pivots, etc.

As I mentioned, the reason I wanted to share the Pica Markers, is due to their longevity, due to the way the steel tube that supports the tip/nib, recedes to expose new tip/nib, as it wears. I have no idea how they engineered that....but it's about the neatest trick I've ever seen pulled off on a simple "marker".

We all do a lot of marking things in our shops....whether it's knife patterns. handle materials, or marking where to drill holes. I just ran through a set of these....and they lasted me over 5 years. They are called "Pica Markers". They have a long, 1.5mm tip..... for close outlines on patterns, have a long reach to mark/trace holes, but here's the best part is...as they wear, the steel "tip holder" recedes to expose more of the tip/nib. The best I can figure, one of these last about 7X as long as a sharpie.....that doesn't have the capabilities. They are pricey..... about $7-$8 each, but after using them, they are just so much better than sharpies. Just wanted to share. ;)

I use the Dixon markers. They are similar but don't have the 'nib trick" of these. Thanks Ed. I ordered one.

Dixon markers? Not familiar with those. I also saw some called "Dura-Ink" with a long tip, but could only find them in a pack of 12. I just about ordered them, but just couldn't bring myself to experiment with the $40 they cost when I knew I could trust the Pica markers. :)

I've purchase the FastCap long nosed..... the tips are HUGE compared to the Pica markers. If I remember correctly, the Pica is a 1.5mm tip, and the FastCap are a 3mm tip..... it doesn't sound like much, but when using them to trace a pattern, the 3mm tip adds about 1/8" all the way around..... and for me, makes it tough to mark any parts to the correct size to grind to..... if that makes any sense? :)

Thanks for the tip ED, ordered these today.

Just recieved these pens and they are indeed worth getting. Pretty clever tip. The outside sleave around the small felt tip retracts into the pen's body to expose more felt tip as it wears away, maintaining it's small size.
Thanks Ed, great find!

Back