Mark and Steve and I---1957---

Fred Rowe

In early October, 1957 Mark and Steve and I were in the same 9th grade class @ Groveport Madison school; we were all farm kids living around the small central Ohio town of Groveport. We were 13 years old and we thought ourselves, the greatest rocket scientist in that part of America. We were building our own rockets and launching them off the CSX railroad bridge, south of town. We met every Saturday morning at nine to plan and launch.
We were sitting in homeroom class, on Friday morning, it was Oct 4th 1957 A “special announcement came over the pa system informing us that the dreaded Russians had launched an orbiting satellite; it was called Sputnik".
Mark and Steve and I sat in a group at the back of the classroom and I know the teacher, Mr Peters, heard a collective moan coming from our seats. We were at once ashamed, that it had not been our country that had done this amazing thing and were also thrilled that someone had really done it. We all puffed up our chest, proud of our connection to the world of rocketry.
We were arm in arm, proud and boastful throughout the long school day.
The final bell of the day rang at 4:30 and the building started to empty.
As we headed out the main doors of the school, headed for the buses to take us home, I pulled out my crumpled pack of Winstons, offering each of my friends one. This was not tolerated on school property, but we were special that day, we were rocketeers.

As we strolled through the big double doors and down the concrete steps to the buses, I looked back over my shoulder only to see the hall monitor staring at the three of us, each with a cancer stick hanging from our lips. We were had and I knew it.
Being young men of scientific mind, we formed a plan meant to deceive. We would not go easily.
As we huddled on the sidewalk, Mark told Steve and I , “they sell those pens at Ackermans that look just like filtered cigarettes". We would walk home, we had to have those cig pens.
We pooled our money and headed for the drug store. Sure enough, as Mark had said, there on the glass counter sat the cigarette pens. We bought three.
Next morning in home room we huddled in the back of the class, waiting and expecting the worst.
Over the PA came, "Steve Harder, Mark Francis and Fred Rowe report to the principals office". Again we knew the teacher heard our collective moan. But we had a plan; we each had our cig pen in our right front pocket ready to show the principal. We were full of youthful confidence as we headed for the office.
With the principal glowering over us came the words, “empty your pockets on my desk” he had one hand on his hip, the other on a long paddle.
We each emptied our pockets on Mr. Monjhars big desk. Out came our cig pens, milk money a couple of bottle caps a fish hook along with our pocket knives. Mark had a big 2 blade Barlow, Steve a leather handled sheath knife that he couldn't wear on his waist, he had forgotten his belt and I placed my cherished Case xx that my dad had given me on the big desk.
The principal looked at us over his glasses, resting on the end of his nose knowing he had been had and we were going to get away with it. He took the 3 cig pens in his hand and dropped them in his top desk drawer.
The two pocket knives and the sheath knife with no belt to wear it properly, went back into our pockets without a word from the principal.
It was a very different time and Mark and Steve and I were young rocketeers, we were invincible .

Last edited:
Touching story! thanks for sharing.

Besides the technical knowledge found on forums the stories are the best part.:biggrin:

Great story! It is a shame that kids these days get in trouble for simply chewing their toast into the shape of a gun at school. I carried a pocketknife with me every day to school too. Man's most primitive and useful tool is now only seen as a weapon in many cases. It is a sad situation we find ourselves in!

that is a cool story. I carried a pocket knife all through school, 3rd grade on. A pity that can't be done today.

Aaaaah, those were the days.
From the age of 8 on I had my Case stockman in my pocket everywhere I went. Adult or not, if you tried to take it there would of been a fight. That's how much I prized that knife. School was no problem, we routinely brought our guns to school (with ammo) if staying at a friend's overnite. A local cop would go plinking with us at the local dump on sunday mornings. It was a different time, never to be seen again. Thanks for reminding me Fred.

Rudy

I like the story Fred. I never smoked in my school years but I did pack a knife to school every day clear through high school. I remember being told by the teach to put it away a couple times when cleaning my finger nails at my desk.

I sold a kit knife blade to a high school boy about 10 years back and he took it to school to show his friend. Unfortunately he was taken from class to the sheriffs office the same day. His father had to go down there and pick him up, I think he was suspended for 3 days. Now I would be arrested for selling to a minor and we would both be in trouble.

All the tactical knives on the market worry me. The old knife companies are out of business and the "knock off" market has never been bigger. Black guns and black knives are everywhere and cheap to buy.

I had a lot of bother with the police because I was caught with a 50mm SAK at school when I was 10, I got a record that didnt go away until I was 16. I don't smoke and I don't intend to but I think a multitool is much less dangerous than cigarettes, pipes, cannabis, cocaine, ketamine and heroin and whatever else the people at school seem to be taking now. They usually start in third year which is when you are 14.

Well Fred,
You three could have been in that movie? Rocket Boys I think the name is? About the boys in a mining town that built rockets and one of them goes on to work for NASA.

Times have changed.

Well Fred,
You three could have been in that movie? Rocket Boys I think the name is? About the boys in a mining town that built rockets and one of them goes on to work for NASA.

Times have changed.

October Sky! one of my favorite movies. It was filmed based on the book Rocket Boys. I watch it every time I see it come along; its like going back in time and hanging out with my childhood friends.

October Sky! one of my favorite movies. It was filmed based on the book Rocket Boys. I watch it every time I see it come along; its like going back in time and hanging out with my childhood friends.

I saw "October Sky" for the first time last August. Very cool movie. The lady teacher that they had was a shining example of what teachers in the USA used to be like!

Great story Fred. I like how carrying a knife was considered normal for young men then. When my turn came around carrying a knife had been banned. Odly enough, at least once a week I would have a teacher needing to cut something during class and need a knife. As the teachers never carried knives either, they'd usually look to me and ask to borrow mine. I wasn't special or above the rules, the teachers all knew that I was going to carry it rather I got into trouble or not. I guess they just overlooked it because they knew I was responsible. Don't get me wrong, I got into plenty of trouble. The trouble I got into just never involved a knife.

Back