Mammoth tooth needed

Gahagan

Does anyone know of a good place to get some small mammoth tooth scales? I would like some for a pocket knife. I only need them to be about 2"-3" x 1"- 1.5" x 1/8"

Do a worldwide search on ebay, for "Mammut Zahn" you will get several whole teeth of different sizes for cheap. You will have to cut it yourself. I have never done it, but is worth checking out.

Fine Turnage

I agree with the Fine Turnage website, I have bought from him and he s great to work with and ships quickly. Once you bring up his home page, click on the buy now button to see what he has in inventory. then you can shop from there.He has top quality materials.

Good decision, let us know what you think, I`m sure you will be pleased.

It is a nice piece of material a little smaller than I expected. Does anyone have info on how to Cut/Drill this stuff it looks brittle.

Well now your observations are very true.
Regular belts are not great to work mammoth tooth. They will have a tendency to tear and chip. Silicon carbide belts from True grit are what you want and believe it or not i suggest getting only a couple which are 120 and a fine 40 I belive it is. The 120 will handle sizing down and shaping and work the tooth very nicely. If you plan to do lots more get a 60 grit as well in the silicon carbide of course. To begin with you will need to get some backing on the scales after you have got them flat. Even before that take and coat the scales first one side then the other with the thin crazy glue. I get enough on to use a hobby paint brush and spread it around well. Maybe two coats on the bottom side. I use the thin micarta from Alpha knife supply. I also recommend placing another piece of the same on the top side as well using that crazy glue again. Lots of care must be taken when drilling holes. It's best to use carbide bits turning at the fastest speed your drill press will do but with very light down pressure and lots of cutting fluid. Cobalt will also work. I did try regular new ones for a while with only limited success. The piece of thin micarta you glued on to the up side of the scales is to help prevent the drill bit poping through and tearing out the top of the hole. You can make very pretty handles with this stuff but I personally would not use it on a knife to see use. Oh yes, don't be surprized if some where along you have one or both crack on you . Just place the pieces together and you guessed it, use more crazy glue. I hope this helps. I have found it to be the most difficult of the more common natural materials to work with. Still, I think I'm using more as time goes by. Frank

Brittle is a bit of an understatment. First thing I do is glue it on to some liner material. Even the slightest lateral pressure will break it. Good news is you can normally glue it back together right along the break. Drill with brand new drill bits only and take it very slowly. The mammoth tooth has different hardnesses of material within it so your drill bit will go through some like butter then you run into the hard stuff. If youpush you break the piece. All that being said I love using it and once it is on a knife it is wonderful.
Steve

Back