Mammoth ivory question.

akey

So mammoth ivory won't be effected by the ivory ban? I was under the impression that it would be but after looking on the US Fish & Wildlife FAQ it doesn't appear it will be. I have never used ivory of any kind but I do find the idea of using something "prehistoric" very neat.

What other types of ivory are used, and how will they be affected by these actions?

These actions will not affect ivory derived from other species such as walrus, warthog, hippopotamus, mammoth and mastodon. Asian elephant ivory is already regulated under the ESA and CITES. Ivory derived from toothed whales is already regulated by the ESA, CITES and the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Strict application of the definition of antique may limit some Asian elephant and whale ivory trade. See the section about antiques for more information.

Here is the link to the USFWS ivory ban info site for those interested.

http://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

I'm sticking with colored walrus and mammoth. They are safe to buy and sell. Good thing I didn't stock up on Elephant.

Back