Making synthetic handle material

JJB11B

I currently make my handles out of a G-10 like material I made in my garage, it consists of layers upon layers of canvas dredged in auto body Fiberglass resin then pressed as tight as I can clamp it. It produces a material that seems durable and can be attractive if properly finished. Does anyone do anything similar? If so what suggestions do you have for me as I am preparing to make a few more pieces. I have 3 more blanks that need handles. DF8572AE-14A9-4DD4-B92A-98479E71ECC7.jpeg

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Making it yourself can be a fun project, but it's actually cheaper to just buy it ready made from one of the supply outfits. Generally I buy most of my synthetics from Masecraft supply.

USA Knifemaker supply has some really neat "python" micarta too!

JJB11B

I really want to cast some scales with the Gadsden flag in them maybe I could cast poly resin blanks with a fabric backing and then set the emblem on top then fill with resin? I’m spitballing here

soundmind

I've wanted to do this too, with old jackets and stuff. Now I know what kind of epoxy to use. Only thing though is I've never used micarta or g-10 or anything like that yet. I'd like too though. I want to get away from materials that might move due to moisture.

JJB11B

Making it yourself can be a fun project, but it's actually cheaper to just buy it ready made from one of the supply outfits. Generally I buy most of my synthetics from Masecraft supply.

USA Knifemaker supply has some really neat "python" micarta too!
Their supply of Corby bolts is always slim

JJB11B

Making some burlap micarta for this knife, the handle is modeled after the condor blank and the blade profile is scaled up from my last knife build, using O-1 tool steel, gonna wait to drill holes til I find pin stock 4CC41B0F-FEC1-4F22-9EE1-E88DEF9351FE.jpeg

JJB11B

It is actually in my center console of my pickup, shes been a good blade, I have cleaned some game and a couple hogs with it. and removed carpet from a concrete floor as a torture test. my parents had about 1000SF of carpet in the house they bought a few years ago, I cut it into 6ft wide strips and rolled it up. had to sharpen it when done but she held up.

JJB11B

That's a lot better than my first one!! Do you still have it? Here is one of my first -
I really like that blade profile, I want to make some kitchen knives, I haven't picked my steel for them yet but that knife would make a FANTASTIC camp kitchen utility knife

I knew a guy who made burlap micarta for his knives all the time. Nice guy, he made some really nice handles using a lot of resin casting. He did one with acorn tops in blue resin. It was pretty cool. I do like the look of burlap though