making mokume

Very creative! I was wondering how you'd handle two steels
with such different critical temps but the long quench explained
it. Mokume is something I keep intending to do. Nice video with
a very cool result. Be sure to post pics when you use it on
something.
Welcome to Knifedogs,
David

Welcome To Knife Dogs.. Great video with what look to be amazing results. Ill be watching to see what you make from it!! Thanks for sharing!

Would that work with copper? That is neat! I might have to try that.

I was thinking the same exact thing!!! Copper would be so cool, of course the brass looked AMAZING!!! I think I have some cable around here somewhere and I know I have PLENTY of copper, left over from wiring my shop, and expect to have a lot more once they wire my house!! I don't know, the brass really looked nice, I wondered about the cable being so loosely twisted, but it looks like that was by design, to allow the brass to flow up the strands, I wonder if the results would be as good if it was tightened up a bit. Beautiful stuff, now where can I find a stainless steel
crucible???

'Prisonbreak', you sound Southern to me where are you from? I'm in The Great State of Alabama! If we're not too far apart maybe we could get together sometime. Great video, and loved the info! Thanks for sharing, Rex

lolz, im in new zealand, a bit far apart i think, prisonbreak is just a nickname given to me from workmates, just could be coming over soon for a holiday to WV

I've been looking at this thread for a few days, debating if I should say anything or not. This morning I just couldn't stop myself. This is not mokume. This is nothing more than brazing. Although it might look "cool", about the only real use for it would be for guards/furniture. I did it years ago, and it's near impossible to heat treat a blade of that composition......most of the time you end up with a big mess.

IF you want to try this, make sure you have a dedicated forge for it.....because once you get one drop of the non-steel material in the forge, you'll never be able to forge weld in that forge again....at least not until you completely tear it apart, clean it out, and reline it.

Thanks for the heads up Ed. I have a big bucket of copper wire just sitting around. I also have some drill cable. Mix the two, and I have bolister stuff!

I was thinking this would be for bolster/furniture, brass couldn't make a blade anyway. His forge looked more like a smelter used in smelting gold, except the gold smelters I've seen were closed completely, his looks like it was built from an old propane tank. I was thinking I wanted to experiment with copper, maybe forge some onto a blade spine, or on a guard/butt capp, I haven't checked on the melting temps of copper, shouldn't be too high, and I wouldn't need it molten....I don't think. Just hot enough to get it to forge weld to the steel, if that's possible. It's a decorative idea, nothing functional about it. It's something I will try once I'm more comfortable with my basic blade smithing skills. Ideas like that are usually rolling through my head all the time, I just need a really good one that is worth some money!!

Thanks Ed for the tip on not doing this in my main forge, I have enough trouble with stuff as it is, I don't need to make more problems! Rex

Back