Making 'micarta'

KDX

I decided to try to make some linen micarta scales for some folders I'm attempting. I haven't done this before so I watched a bunch of videos and it seems pretty straight forward. I decided to do it with a twist though and am not sure if it will work or not. I cut off a piece of stainless scrub pad and unraveled it.

IMG_20151017_133437_zpsqxkuiv10.jpg

Then I cut it into pieces.

IMG_20151017_134158_zpsudcqm2u3.jpg

I should be able to make scales for 4 folders if this works out.

IMG_20151017_141723_zps71siystc.jpg

The main ingredients with a wax paper covered board that I will lay them out on.

IMG_20151017_152235_hdr_zps1adatm5w.jpg

All layered up.

IMG_20151017_155416_zps14hezsul.jpg

I clamped it up between my (USA Knifemaker :biggrin:) quench plates (covered in wax paper) and used a caliper to measure the 4 corners so it should be pretty flat and consistent when it's done. It will sit outside till the stink is off of it.

IMG_20151017_160815_hdr_zps2qzobn3m.jpg

Instead of mixing the stainless in with the resin I sprinkled it between the 2nd and 3rd last layers of linen. If it doesn't look good it will go to the inside and I can still use the material (hopefully).

edited to add a pic of the knife so far....

IMG_20151008_210458_zpsf0gnu8qe.jpg

Last edited:
The material didn't turn out too bad but the metal doesn't do anything for me so I doubt that I will be doing it again.

IMG_20151017_213926_zpsvuicfax1.jpg

IMG_20151017_215052_zpsbtsvwzyo.jpg

Interesting idea.

I wonder if perhaps you need to up the amount of metal in there to make it more interesting.

I agree with Stew. You have an interesting idea, but you need a little more Ss in the mix. You have to remember you will loose some in the finishing.

Erik

Just a thought but, why not take the ss and make it almost a layer of its own or at the least a strip 3/4 the width of your material? Any stray pieces will pop up and make an appearance. Is a trial and error process but will look pretty unique for sure. What about using stainless steel screen strips?

I like the idea also, but my concern would be splinters for lack of a better word. The resin isn't going to soak into the metal pieces, and I would think there wouls be a decent chance of yhem working loose and either falling out and leaving a void, or jabbing whoever is using the knife in the hand.
Now mind you, I've never made any micarta, so I'm just thinking of this in theory, and I might be totally wrong... but that would be my concern.

Thanks for the replys. I know there was a concern I had read once upon a time with lightning strike carbon fiber and people being poked by the wire ends. Something to do with how it was finished I think.

or grind up some 0000 steel wool? I'd personally be afraid of getting fish-hooked by a string of wire. I respect you thinking outside of the box and trying new stuff, though.

I saw this idea a while back on another forum. It was dismissed as a bad idea because the ends of the metal might work out and into your hand. Ed

Back