Making/grinding a curved cigar cutter blades

JPSWorks

Thought I would post this question here. I've been working on a couple of slip joints recently in my spare time but decided I wanted to have a try at making something different.

I have been trying to design a dual blade cigar cutter for a friend for his birthday. I was trying different styles blades. Straight across, angled blades(guiatouine style) and finally two curved half circles. It seems the majority that I see online or in person have the half circle curved blades.

I know how to grind the straight and angled chisel grinds, but have no idea how on earth to properly grind the half circle blade. For all the research I've done I can't find anything on how to do this other than using rounded hand files and dremel tools. Neither of which are very precise way to do it. Makes me wonder how they do it at the factory.

I know it's an odd question to post here but it is a knifemaking/blademaking related question

Anyone have any experience making curved cigar cutter or any recommendations?

Thanks!

John

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Or.......just make a friction folder with a big hole drilled into the middle.....
845574eed068ae6e069b058d4a432567.jpg

4a2743f530f6399bc0e6a5f0f0c42626.jpg
b76941b6267ff4fd14c66d43ea8c2c48.jpg

Then your friend will have a dual purpose gift.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Or.......just make a friction folder with a big hole drilled into the middle.....
845574eed068ae6e069b058d4a432567.jpg

4a2743f530f6399bc0e6a5f0f0c42626.jpg
b76941b6267ff4fd14c66d43ea8c2c48.jpg

Then your friend will have a dual purpose gift.

I really like these cutters you make. I like the dual purpose.

However I still want to try the dual blade type.

Oh i wasn't trying to discourage you from trying the traditional cutter. I think it would be a challenge worth taking on. But if all else fails, option B is pretty doable.

Just think of it like a big "single" serration. Use a small wheel to shape the round inside profile, and then angle into the wheel to sharpen the inside of the curve.

Just think of it like a big "single" serration. Use a small wheel to shape the round inside profile, and then angle into the wheel to sharpen the inside of the curve.
I think I see what you mean. I'll give this method a try on some scrap metal to see how it works.

Thanks

Post up photos of what you get from the different things you try please, I'm very interested to see how it works.

Back