Making electrolyte

JeremyBartlett

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a situation. I have to have 3 knives marked in the next couple of days but I noticed that my bottle of electrolyte spilled and is bone dry. I have heard of people using salt water to etch. Has anyone done this? If so what salt do I need to use, sea salt, iodized salt or kosher salt? Any input is appreciated!

I have used pool salt. There is an entire bag of pool salt, must have been about a 20lb. bag as I remember.
shopping
I boiled water and kept adding salt till I had the entire bag diluted in a gal. of water. It works well, and has lasted for ever. After all you are doing is dampening the pad on your etcher. I pour it out in one of those baby veggie containers. Like these, I washed out and kept a ton of them. They are handy for a lot of things. They have a lid but, it won't keep liquid from evaporating for too long. Just enough to wet the bottom of the container or lid good!
shopping
A cavant to all this the salt can be and is very corrosive! Be sure to clean the blade and the etcher well, (soapy water and scrub with an old tooth brush) and neutralize with baking soda, rinse and repeat and then oil the area. You can wipe that off later but it is good to do if you are going to let the knife sit around! I do think the salt is harder on stencils but,..............when in Rome do as the Romans so to speak!!:D

In a pinch, anything that can make the liquid conductive to electrical can be used. As mentioned, perhaps the most simple is plain old table salt mixed with water (distilled best).

I honestly didn't measure it out. Just mixed it in till I couldn't get it to dissolve anymore salt. The water was at room temp also.

When I use to chew I'd use the lid to my can. I'd just spit in it and add a pinch of salt and stir it up with my finger. Making etching solution doesn't need to be a science project.......

Back