Maker's Mark

Casey Brown

Okay, guys. I'm trying to come up with a maker's mark. My name is Casey Brown. I figure marking it with just Brown is too common a name, so I was thinking C.R.Brown, adding in the middle initial. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, who do most of you use for buying reusable stencils for electro-etching?

Thanks for any input.

Casey

For stencils I've gone 2 different routes.

I've bought them from Ernie Grospitch and I've made them myself.

Erine's are better then the ones I made but being able to make them myself allows me to be flexible. I can quickly make a stencil if I use a different steel.

Has anyone tried to use a stencil made on a sillouette machine? I was thinking of trying it for one time etching. My Maker's Mark I get from Ernie. There is a sticker stencil material for the machines that may work as a one time stencil.

Not to detract from the quality of Ernie's stencils, as they're very good and I've alwasy been satisfied with quality and turnaround from him, BUT:
I've started using T.U.S. stencils. For me, I think they last longer than those from Ernie, and his pricing has gone up quite a bit from when I first started using him, so the TUS stencils are simply more economical. The initial set up cost is probably comparable to Ernie's, but any reprints after (for the SAME stencil layout) are significantly cheaper, as they don't charge for setup for subsequent prints.

As for what maker's mark to go with, I personally put A. Riley on all of my knives, as well as the steel type. I also occasionally put my mark as shown in my Avatar (at least on larger blades), but not always. C.R. Brown should be a fine mark. Some makers also include their city and/or state of residence, especially if there's another maker with a similar name, or they'll add some other little graphic or symbol to differentiate.

Not to detract from the quality of Ernie's stencils, as they're very good and I've alwasy been satisfied with quality and turnaround from him, BUT:
I've started using T.U.S. stencils. For me, I think they last longer than those from Ernie, and his pricing has gone up quite a bit from when I first started using him, so the TUS stencils are simply more economical. The initial set up cost is probably comparable to Ernie's, but any reprints after (for the SAME stencil layout) are significantly cheaper, as they don't charge for setup for subsequent prints.
I agree. Ernie made my first set of stencils and years later I wanted to order more and couldnt justify it so went with IMG.

Back