Maker's mark

Ok weird thing happening. When I etch with DC, it also blackens the logo.

Is that specific to the solution?

I thought the blackening came from the AC process?

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reverse the leads and see what happens.

Ok weird thing happening. When I etch with DC, it also blackens the logo.

Is that specific to the solution?

I thought the blackening came from the AC process?

What am I missing?

on the DC

AC deposits (blackened) metal back and forth 60 times a second. DC moves metal one way. If you have the leads in the right orientation, DC should leave a deep but frosted looking etch. If you are getting black marks with DC, the leads are reversed.

Swapped the leads on DC and no etch at all.

So it seems like I'm getting both etch and blacken in one step, on DC.

Is this related to the solution I bought from yall?

Not complaining, just baffled

I would like to chime in here with a question about the power supply. I am about to purchase either a personalizer or build one from the plans on Ernies site. Obviously there is a cost difference, and that is important to me. However, if there is a quality difference, or long term benefit to spending more money on the personalizer, than I would like to know that now!

Ok, thanks a bunch!
- J

I would like to chime in here with a question about the power supply. I am about to purchase either a personalizer or build one from the plans on Ernies site. Obviously there is a cost difference, and that is important to me. However, if there is a quality difference, or long term benefit to spending more money on the personalizer, than I would like to know that now!
Ok, thanks a bunch!
- J

The power level matters. Just like most things mechanical, more power is better. In etching, the more power helps with a deep etch and it takes less time.

Brass knob, ground down flat, covered in two layers of felt. All thread threaded through a wood dowel as a handle. Basically the same applicator that Ernie uses on his site.

Back