Maker's mark

CMN

A few questions please,
Where do you get the stamps, dies or etching stencil ( ? ) that are used to put the company names on your knives come from ?

And how much do they cost ?

And , lastly, when or how are they applied ?

Maybe too many questions for one post, if so I apologize.

Thank you in advance for the info and advice.

I got mine from Ernie's. He was great to deal with. Cost me $60 for a whole sheet of stencils.

yeah, you will need stencils and etching machine. or a custom metal stamp. i using an engraving pen on mine. seems more personal to me. i use to be an illustrator in a former life and that is how i signed my work. i just do the same thing now, just on steel. i will probably get some stencils for a proper logo soon. i have an etching machine sitting in the corner all alone. guess i should start using it. everybody is different, just do what feels right. it is your custom work, after all. make it unique. just my two cents. i also stamp or engrave my leather sheaths from time to time. that always looks nice for the customer.

liontribe

awesome ! thanks for the great info. I was getting worried there for a sec, googling custom steel stamps was depressing. I was looking at 150 to 300 fro initial start up for those things. I am very happy to learn there is a less expensive path.
On redirect - who's Ernie ? ( lol ) and his stencils are for acid etching ? ferrous chloride or something ?

thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

I think it's Blue Lightening or something like that? google Ernie's Knives and it should pop up.

You will need a method to etch too. My buddy made me one out of a cell phone charger, lol. Don't ask me how, but it works.

One of the more popular methods of marking blades is electro-etching. This is the stencils that Ernie sells. His stencils are good. Here are a couple of links to explain a lot to you.

http://www.erniesknives.com/ (look around on his site - some of it's hard to find, but lots of good info there)

http://www.logiudicecustomknives.com/knifeshop/etcher/index.shtml (a good "make it yourself" site for electro-etch)

http://usaknifemaker.com/etching-supplies-c-53.html?SID=45a1ce2d21023b60a1feeae7056a7d6e (lots of electro-etching stuff there from "Boss"

I tried using my Ernie stencils tonight. The first etch came out ok, but the stencil got pretty beat up after one use.

I'm using a salt and detergent mix for solution.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First point, get some "real" etching solution, it will make a LOTS of difference. Also, how long are you holding current on etch at a time? About 2 or 3 seconds is more than enough, lift for a couple of seconds, then back down. Perhaps on DC voltage - count "Alabama 1, Roll Tide 2, Alabama 3, then lift for a couple of seconds, and start over again. for a total of 10 times? Then change to AC voltage for perhaps 5 or 6 cycles of above. BTW, what voltage are you using?

Most important, just make sure there is very little heat build up. Heat will destory the stencil pretty quickly. After 20 to 30 marks, stencil should still be in good shape.

Ken H>

If you have the volume of electricity to high and linger your pad to long you can fry any stencil. I've never used Detergent? Just salt water and Vinegar or solution from a stencil maker.

Laurence, how does the salt 'n vinegar solution compare to the special solution for etching?

I first used a salt and vinegar solution , I now use a electrolyte solution supplied by USA Knife maker , it's like comparing a dump truck to a Viper!

Use commercial etchant. Stencil material is designed to withstand/be used with most of the commercially available echants......when you start mixing your own, it's a crap shoot as to if the stencil will tolerate it.

second this all the way.

First point, get some "real" etching solution, it will make a LOTS of difference. Also, how long are you holding current on etch at a time? About 2 or 3 seconds is more than enough, lift for a couple of seconds, then back down. Perhaps on DC voltage - count "Alabama 1, Roll Tide 2, Alabama 3, then lift for a couple of seconds, and start over again. for a total of 10 times? Then change to AC voltage for perhaps 5 or 6 cycles of above. BTW, what voltage are you using?

Most important, just make sure there is very little heat build up. Heat will destory the stencil pretty quickly. After 20 to 30 marks, stencil should still be in good shape.

Ken H>

Yes, it takes some experience to mix your own. I have never heard of this detergent? Just buy the stuff Bossdog or any of the maker suppliers sell to get you started.

Just ordered some solution from usa. Hopefully it gets here before weekend so I can practice more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back