Maker mark stencil

norseman

Hello
i purchased a sheet of stencils from T.U.S. tech. And am building in an etching machine from red beard ops video. Question on the stencils, do I need to do anything to prep It before use? I saw one video were the stencil was in a bowl of water before it was used.
thank you
vern

If they already have your name in them you shouldn't have to do that. The water and light box are used to make the stencils themselves. However, you do want to wash off your stencil after use.

If they already have your name in them you shouldn't have to do that. The water and light box are used to make the stencils themselves. However, you do want to wash off your stencil after use.
Thank you Sir, how many times can you use a single stencil?

Bruce answered your question, but just to add to it, it depends on a few factors. Some folks (because of preferences or usage) only use a stencil one or two times. Others use them many more times than that. I probably have used the same stencil 10 times.

Your mileage may vary. :) I like doing deep DC etches and I have not gotten my method down yet, both leading to premature wear of stencils, I'm sure.

Depends on your etcher too. The more power the more heat the quicker they degrade. I've been using the same ones I bought 3 years ago from Ernie. I just started making my own stencils with a Brother printer. Those stencils are not going to last more than a few uses per stencil. I did it for fun and figured I could offer my customers custom 1 off stencils.

Depends on your etcher too. The more power the more heat the quicker they degrade. I've been using the same ones I bought 3 years ago from Ernie. I just started making my own stencils with a Brother printer. Those stencils are not going to last more than a few uses per stencil. I did it for fun and figured I could offer my customers custom 1 off stencils.
what printer is it that you use?

what printer is it that you use?

I cant remember the exact model it is a 7XX model. I'll try and find the paper work for it. GF moved it somewhere for some reason only known to her!! LOL!! But this is a pic of it. It has to be used with your computer and a free software download. Second pic is a Gerry Flask I etch and sell using the Stencils I made with this label maker.

Attachments

• 20210223_113918.jpg
    20210223_113918.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210221_195254.jpg
    20210221_195254.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Back