Magnetic Chuck

v-6

Magnetic chuck.
I'm looking for a new Magnetic chuck but don't know which to get, standard or a fine pole.
and of course none on exxx can tell you the lb. pull they have.
any help ?
i could use some
vern :confused2:

Ditto! FINE POLE!!! They cost a bit more, but my first standard pole chuck cost me a new shop door! To explain, I was using a standard pole chuck on my surface grinder ... surfacing off a set of bolsters, and the chuck would not hold them! The flew off, took the guard off the surface grinder, and punched a coffee cup sized hole in my shop door! Had to replace the shop door, reattach the guard on the surface grinder.....and then went looking for a fine pole chuck. You can generally tell by pics....the light and dark lines you see are the magnets....standard pole chucks are spaced 1/4" or more, and fine poles are generally spaced 1/8" or less.
If you buy a new one they are way spendy! My first was a 5x10" Suburban brand, and was just under $700. I'm using one now that I got off Ebay. When you search, used the words "Fine Pole Magnetic Chuck", "Fine Pole Mag Chuck", or Fine Pole Chuck". I look a couple of days ago and saw several.

Vern thanks for asking this and thanks Dan and Ed for your input. I picked up a surface grinder and it came with a mag chuck and I was playing with it and was wondering why I could slide my steel around on it, now I know. I will be looking for a fine pole before I use it now.

Fine pole magnets hold thin and small parts much better. Fling parts add to the excitement but are not fun.

And that is one of the reasons why I say the surface grinder is the most dangerous tool in the shop.

Fine pole, without a doubt, and electromagnetic if you can swing it.

Back