Magazine Ad?

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Have any of you ever placed a magazine ad for your knives? If so how did it work? Was the expense worth the yield? Have any of you run ads that were in a mag for a year or so?

I'm starting a fresh batch of 50 blades and when I have them "handled" I would like to think about placing a small ad.

Do any of you have recommendations for types of mags? Are knife magazines the best for knives or maybe some other style of magazine?

Here's the ad I had in mind...try3.png

May be worth a shot, when I had a website problem #1 was getting people to visit without spending a ton of money in addition to the cost of the website. A lot of magazines are digital now so who knows maybe the ad could include a link...

Just be careful putting all your eggs in one basket as far as social media goes. I noticed they have really been cracking down on knife type post lately. :rolleyes:

I've advertised a number of times over the years in magazines.....Blade, Knives Illustrated, Tactical Knives, etc. I've also tried ONCE in a magazine called Gun Collector....WHEW! Awful expensive!
The return.....NEVER WORTH THE MONEY! I have friends who work at most of the major knife and outdoor magazines..... they tell me that unless you're willing to spend the money on a full page ad, and run it for their minimum of 6 months.....it's usually a waste.

Where you will get the most sales is when an article is done on you. How do you make that happen. Well, first ya gotta get noticed. You do that by have THE BEST pictures of your work you can have, and send them into ALL the magazines.....at least quarterly. As for me, I did it for years on a monthly basis. I don't know whether I finally got them something impressive, or they just did it to curb me sending pictures all the time.....but for a number of years I managed to either have an article, or a pic be printed for an article.

My advice is try to think outside the box..... Maybe put your work in a "Made in Montana" store....but then you're looking at commissions that tend to be pretty steep....... or if advertising, try something like Montana Magazine, or something like Northwest Crafters.

These days all the sales are taking place via the net....through things like Instagram. The thing there is first you need to get on it, post A LOT, and get a LOT of followers...... I know makers who only sell on Instagram or at shows.

Me? Well having not worked for the last year means I gotta start all over again.....but for me it's always been a mix..... website, modern and up to date, Facebook, Instagram, Chatrooms sometimes, and even places like reddit. The trick is to make what you're offering desirable.....how you do that is always the question. :)

I have been researching and watching what other people do to sell there knives. The 1 thing I noticed for the 1's that have a 5year waiting list to get a knife from them. They are the 1's that are all over social media mostly Instagram (IG) and the one's that are always featured in blade magazine or knives illustrated. I've seen people get so popular on Instagram that they close there books and say I cant do this anymore its taking to much time from my family and say if I make something I'll post it for sale but no more custom orders.

Ted, I know next to nothing about marketing so take these ideas for what they're worth. :cool:

Since you seem to be shooting for a niche spot selling it as a edc/cowboy knife, consider contacting outlets that cater to cowboys. Such as saddle makers, boot makers etc. There's websites all over for cowboy clothes, boots, tack...you name it, it's out there.

I don't know exactly what your approach would be, but an article like Ed mentioned in a cowboy related magazine or website could just be the ticket.

Also if you want to open your market further to other areas that aren't specifically for cowboys, just call it an EDC knife and drop the cowboy. Just a thought.

Just be careful putting all your eggs in one basket as far as social media goes. I noticed they have really been cracking down on knife type post lately. :rolleyes:
I don't post a lot on Facebook but I belong to one of the Stock removal groups there. I haven't noticed any problems within the group. Are you noticing a trend outside of the groups?

It's sales posts that FB scrubs. If you put a dollar format like "$125" and have "knife" in the post the bots pick it out and you violate the "community standards." Business pages are a little different, though.

I don't post a lot on Facebook but I belong to one of the Stock removal groups there. I haven't noticed any problems within the group. Are you noticing a trend outside of the groups?
I haven’t noticed it in groups or on Facebook as much as long as your careful of the for sale posts. I have noticed it more and more on instagram however. Post getting taken down for violent or offensive images even though it was just a picture of a knife. I don’t want to get political but my point as far as social media goes is I’m just worried the way things seem to be going that these snowflakes are going to crack down more and more on knives and guns because they find them offensive.

Not saying it shouldn't be used I'm just saying I would hate to grow EVERYTHING on social media only to have it taken down.

Last edited:
I haven’t noticed it in groups or on Facebook as much as long as your careful of the for sale posts. I have noticed it more and more on instagram however. Post getting taken down for violent or offensive images even though it was just a picture of a knife. I don’t want to get political but my point as far as social media goes is I’m just worried the way things seem to be going that these snowflakes are going to crack down more and more on knives and guns because they find them offensive.
Agreed. I prefer to stay out of politics myself. But there are days when I feel a snow storm coming.

I belong to several of the FB groups and the "Knives for sale" are pretty much all blocked. You can still post pics of knives in any of the groups or on your FB personal or business page, but as was said above the minute it says for sale or has a price in it they nuke it.

You also can't create a business page that has a FB "shop", that gets nuked before you even get started. But FB will constantly nag you about promoting your page and how you can give them money to get more likes. I haven't tried that.

I've tried Instagram and so far it hasn't done much for me.

Believe it or not, the best magazine ad bang for your buck is not traditional magazines. Putting ads in local high school sporting event programs will give you 10 times the return. Plus you are helping out the local community. You can get a huge local following when people see you supporting their kids.

Back