Machinist's vise

That linked mill looks exactly like my Grizzly G0704. I didn’t get a DRO, but I’ve been happy with mine so far.

Jeremy

I was comparing them on youtube. the G0704 is a little heavier and has a high / low speed selector switch versus changing the belt. But otherwise the PM looks super nice (and is quieter due to the belt drive and maybe a tad more powerful due to brushless motor). I'd love to have either one. I don't hear anyone complaining about the G0704.

A full size bridgeport is another level up compared to the PM25 for horsepower and size of work it can hold. A full size mill will be more rigid and likely hold tighter tolerances although this is just a guess based on using both. For lighter milling jobs like milling a guard, drilling holes, I would expect they both will be about the same in holding tolerance. Again, just my observation.
A new full size bridgeport or quality knee mill (not a cheap china clone) will be 8 to 12 grand.

Maybe I was unclear. I’m asking how it compares to a smaller Bridgeport style knee mill.

Nothing wrong with the g074. Quite a few guys are using it and like it. I looked at it quite a bit when I was shopping around.

A lot of these type tools are made in a few factories in Taiwan or China and then upgraded to the sellers spec's. Many HF, Delta and Grizzly machines start with the same base model and then spec out some enhancements for their brand.

The PM25 does have some significant differences from the g074 and I would not consider them the same base model.

That linked mill looks exactly like my Grizzly G0704. I didn’t get a DRO, but I’ve been happy with mine so far.
Jeremy

I have the Grizzly G0704 also. I considered the Precission Matthew it was about 600 more than my Grizzly with no base. The one thing I liked better about the PM was the ease to put on an after market DRO. The mounting areas are at 90s compared to the Grizzlies base that has angles cast into them. This machine compared to a real Bridgeport is still a toy. If I had the room to put a Bridgeport I would have. I've seen them for really cheap (considering quality) most of what I've found are 3PH which now with cheap VFDs would be a plus! Instant speed changes! If you have the room and ability to move a REAL Bridgeport or a clone buy that for sure!!

Back