Machine Tools

B

Byron

First of all I have no idea what section this should go in, but where do you get all of your larger machines at if you have them?

I'm referring to things such as knee/bench mills, lathes, vertical bandsaws,surface grinders, etc. Reason I ask is because I'm writing down prices so I'll know what to expect from expenses once I'm able to get a actual shop (rather then just a crudely made workbench on a back porch).

I already have the prices for buffers,belt grinders+assesories, and heat treating ovens, but I'm not sure where to look for the others. Seems that every site I go to you have to request a quote, fill out information including business name, etc.

I know HF has them, but I'm sceptical on purchasing from them due to all the complaints I hear about tool quality from there and I don't think the bandsaws I see in sears/lowes would work since they aren't variable speed.

Byron, be very careful here. My advice is to start out slow and get the "minimal" amount of tools that you need and add on as you need them or you may find yourself buying machinery that you don't use. Also consider that some operations, such as cutting blanks and heat treating can be hired out for reasonable cost.

Doug Lester

I understand that and I have no intentions of getting any of these any time soon. I just want to know what expenses I can be expecting ahead of time so I'll know what I need for when I do consider it.

Thanks for the link Drew.

Drew, with economy being what it is, many machine shops are liquidating. Use equipment is everywhere. I have seen used Mills and Lathes for 800.00. Keep your eyes on online auctions. Bidspotter.com is great place.

When it comes to bandsaws, there is no reason to be afraid of the Harbor Freight ones. A vast majority of knifemakers I know use either the HF or Grizzly brand bandsaws. I personally know of at least a dozen knifemakers ranking from beginning hobbyist to Master Smith who use them. The only difference I see in the two is the color of paint and badging on them. Just remember to buy a supply of quality blades when you purchase one.

Drew, with economy being what it is, many machine shops are liquidating. Use equipment is everywhere. I have seen used Mills and Lathes for 800.00. Keep your eyes on online auctions. Bidspotter.com is great place.

You're right about that, i've know a young shopowner that bought a year old nexus mazak cnc lathe for abot 20,000 and those are about 80k up. Last year was a rough year for machine shops in south louisiana, alot of shops working 32/40hrs (when the standard was 50/60hrs).
The only bad thing about buying a used machine is if you can't look at yourself or if you don't what to look for,( worn ways, gibs maxed out, excessive backlash) you may get stuck with an $800 headache. good thing about mills is that they usually last a good while, the ways don't wear a much and they stay pretty even, you can work around the backlash. so a second hand mill would be a good buy.
a second hand lathe is another thing, the ways are usually worn out more close to the chuck ,the gibs have never been adjusted so when you do tighten they go all the way or you can only travel the lathe halfway because of the ways not being even. so i don't recommend buying a used lathe without serious inspection.

And what about drill presses,was those from sears/lowes work or would their speed ranges/rigity be a issue? I sometimes drill through hardened steel so I often use carbide bits, any time else its cobalt. Other then that, think my question has been answered so thanks for the responses.

I traded a couple of hunting knives for an older knee mill, the machine shop was upgrading to new 5 axis machining centers. The mill was made in 1947 and worked its entire lifetime in an aerospace environment but was retired after its operator retired.

George

I have a made in China drill press that I bought from an Ebay store. It has it's limits, but so far, it's done all that I have asked or at least I have been able to find other ways of doing what it won't do. It actually worked better than a more expensive one that I bought from Sears; the chuck stays on. Would I like to have a floor model drill press? Yes, it would probably come in handy but right now I'm on a fixed income and can't afford it.

Doug Lester

When it comes to bandsaws, there is no reason to be afraid of the Harbor Freight ones. A vast majority of knifemakers I know use either the HF or Grizzly brand bandsaws. I personally know of at least a dozen knifemakers ranking from beginning hobbyist to Master Smith who use them. The only difference I see in the two is the color of paint and badging on them. Just remember to buy a supply of quality blades when you purchase one.

The HF model works just fine.
Make sure you get the Warranty on it though. You get a free(well, almost) Bandsaw when the original does go.
And it will, eventually.

As to the "quality blades", make sure they're "Bi-Metal".:3:

Back