Loveless style guard construction

Alden Cole

Hello all, I am starting on a couple loveless (or dozier, or just plain old style hunter) drop point. I have done one knife with the guard like this, but it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. My question. Do you file into the tang of the knife a slot for the guard to fit into (I am guessing about a 1/4 in.) or do you just round the tang over so that when you slide the guard on you get a nice snug fit. Looks like here they filed in a slot, and if that is the case, how do you do it? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!
loveless.jpg

Last edited:
This is the way original Loveless guards were done, the one in the picture has a flat bottom, others were done to the radius of the mill bit, had two pins and were soldered, this is an old pattern. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 48
Ok, that is actually not what I did. I didn't have a handle stop, I just had a radiused flat spot where I put the guard. I used JB weld to seal it, and peened the two pins to hold it. Thanks for sharing, that is initially what I was trying to figure out. I see that is what Mr. Miller said, I just didn't quite understand him.

Back