Looking to pull the trigger, any thoughts

Get a couple box fans, the kind people have in their houses if they don'r have ac and get a good furnace filter and put on the front and suck air through it. I have seen these on different forums and people saw they work well. Ed

Ed I've seen that before I just don't think I can turn enough air over per hour. The grizzly claims very high turnover@ 1 micron. Thanks

Two box fans mounted one higher,one lower with the1 micron filters would move more than enough air to circulate your heat also.

I saw a pic of one guy that had a huge shop and had 5 of them, just an idea. It's what I plan to do for a while, anyway The price is right. Ed

Thanks for the input so far, I'm just not sold on managing multiple box fans with how they perform. In the winter I don't have a separate grinding room. I feel with a combination of filtering and exhaust I can keep things allot cleaner and safer with the grizzly.I think the priority should be controlling the hazard first I may try a box fan in addition to this setup. I understand the grizz is not cheap but.......

It amazes me how you see full time guys post (shop pics) love seeing these setups, but I hardly ever see air filtration like the grizzly boxes. I see grinder duct work to exhaust or shop vacs but hardly any air filtration. The older I get I find myself more paranoid about what could be going in my lungs, saw my father in law die from lung cancer its not pretty.

A friend of mine has that Grizzly.... he tells me he's not overly impressed with it. He said it works great until he starts grinding.....and then the filters clog in about 5 mins. After a couple times of it clogging up, he trashed the filters that came with it.....and used filters from walmart...... said it works much better now. If I remember correctly, he caught his on sale for something like $250. I do recall him saying that he regretted spending that much $$$ on it after he had seen the one in my shop. (see below)

Something I did years ago in my finish shop....... I just by chance stumbled upon an old home type furnace blower. I asked the guy if he wanted to sell it...and he just gave it to me. I built a plywood box that accepts household type furnace filters on each side, mounted the blower inside the box with the exhaust facing upward. It runs via belt drive and a 1/4hp motor. Its been my "dust sucker" for over a decade. I found that I get the best air circulation, and the best filtering by taking a 4 pack of the "el cheapo" furnace filters walmart sells, and stacking 4 on each intake side. I can pull the filters and blow them out about 2-3 times before they have to be replaced. I do a lot of grinding, and generally put in brand new filters in the spring, and again in the fall.

I have a a Delta 50-860 air filtration unit in our machine shop area near the lathes and TIG setup. It works pretty good getting rid of welding and coolant fumes, and like you said, keeps my heat in during the months that I don't want to open a door. As far as grinding, I use a good filter mask, and plan on eventually using a vacuum setup for my Esteem Grinder. There is no substitute for the mask imho, all the other stuff just keeps your shop cleaner.

Ed, I expected the factory filters not to be the best. Thanks for the input. I have the parts and ply to make a small box, I may give that a go also.

CMS, didnt mean to sound like I dont use a mask. I probably waste $$ changing mask filters too often I also use soapy water on the mask each session. Thanks

No No man, I didn't mean to imply you did not wear one, I just meant that the filter unit does more for shop dirt than your lungs.

one box fan with a HEPPA filter will move/clean nearly as much air as that grizzly air cleaner for about $30 bucks and be a lot quieter to boot. I have one at the house in my shop and a couple here at our shop. They work surprisingly well. At the house, I put a plug adapter into a light socket and when I turn on the lights, the fan turns on low and stays on until I leave the shop.

Back