Looking For a Good File Set

CattleMaster247

Hey Guys, About to embark on my first knife using Stock Removal.
I have a lot of the basic tools. I do have a fair collection of metal files. But I am looking into getting a full set of files of good quality. Does anyone have any suggestions and a list of file types, cutting styles, grits, etc...
Thanks
Dugan

Hi Dugan,
First of all, Stay away from the chins made stuff, I did well at Garage sales, I guess Farm lot sales where you live? I made my first few with used Files to get a taste of it.

Generally the older stuff is much better quality and you can find serviceable used ones to start with..

Unless you plan on making many of your knives with files I would hold off on purchasing a expensive set and put the money towards a top of the line 2 X 72" Variable speed belt grinder.

Take care buddy.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Hey Laurence,
Advice is as always much appreciated! I do not plan on making too many by hand, just would like to do a few to start by hand so that I'll appreciate the belt grinder more in the future. Did the same when I started working with wood. Matter of fact I have a flea market on steroids about 20 miles from the house, 1000+ booths takes up like 10-12 acres! Will be going tom. HAve a good weekend.
Thanks again
Dugan

Get the longest single b@stard cut mill file that you can and maybe another one in single smooth cut. You can do the majority of cutting your bevels with those by draw filing. Use the b@stard cut to do your heavy removal with and the smooth cut to reduce the scratches before going to sand paper. Some half round files in the same cuts will help file the curves, though you might have to settle for double cut files. Chain saw files are great too for the smaller radiuses, like at the junction of the tang and the blade to reduce stress risers. You might also want to get a pillar file, they're something like a mill file with safe edges to keep from cutting sideways into your work. When you get ready to start adding guards to your knives you will probably need some needle files.

BTW, if you are wondering why I spelled b@stard with the @, it's because there's a filter on this board (at least I think there is, it could be one of the other boards) that won't allow you to type out potentially naughty words.

Doug

Back