Looking for a buffer for buffing fittings and handle materials

Jon Buescher

1750 RPM or slower, I really know nothing about buffers other than they are not to be used on a blade EVER, or while sitting (I just did some reading and found some of Ed’s posts and know some of the horror stories.

anyone have a line on a buffer? Or know of a good place to look.

This may not help but maybe it will. I’m going to make a simple buffing attachment for my 2x72 so I can run it nice and slow with the vfd. I haven’t really found a buffer that runs as slow as I would like that not insanely priced.

Take a look at a Redwing or other dental lab or jewlers polishing lathe buffer they are two speed 1750 3450 they use screw on wheels that are affordable , I had a 3/4 hp. solde it in favor of one of these buffers, it will do what you want to do. If you have any questions let me know,, look on E-bay there are some used ones on there. Deane

I have a SUPER LOW QUALITY grinder I converted to buffing wheels. I can actually stall it out if I push to hard on the wheels! Only real problem with it is the wheels are too close to the body of the grinder, making bigger handles more challenging to buff. I keep saying I'm gonna get another but I haven't!! LOL!!

I took a 14" Bandsaw made for cutting wood and slowed it down to cut metal. The same simple mechanical mechanism would work just fine for a buffer. It is a matter of a few extra pulleys and an extra shaft called a "Jack shaft". I can take photos of how I built my saw to run slower if anyone is interested.

30 some years ago my first buffer was a washing machine motor with and arbor and buffing wheel. it was about 1100 RPM.

Use a Dremel and be done with it. I have the HF buffer and it will take stuff from you quickly. I use the Dremel a lot now especially if I need to buff a finished product.

Use a Dremel and be done with it. I have the HF buffer and it will take stuff from you quickly. I use the Dremel a lot now especially if I need to buff a finished product.
What kind of buffing wheels do you use for your dremel? I haven’t had much luck with it.

Randy, I use the hard felt wheels from Amazon. Cost about $12.00. They seem to hold up very well . BTW, I use a Foredom with a flex shaft and foot speed control. Never had it grab anything.
Thanks Bruce! I have a flex shaft on my dremel. Mine’s not as fancy as yours. :D

What kind of buffing wheels do you use for your dremel? I haven’t had much luck with it.
Nothing special just the ones that you get in a typical kit. I find the speed is more important for the Dremel because it will burn something quick if you are running it WAO. Now, I also have a feeling that I do not polish to as high a shine as you do Randy so that may be the difference.

We have a couple in the shop. This is the latest one and I tend to use it before the other. I have never used the 3600 speed. I just use the 1800 or it can go just 900RPM. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y37521/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually use 1/4" sewn 8" wheels that get worn down to around 6" and then replaced. I normally cut the first few stitches so about 1/2" is "loose" buff. It will take a larger wheel but that means faster surface speed. Some will disagree but I think buffers are safer mounted on a pedestal than a bench. If you lose your part/knife, it will bounce away on the floor.

Here she is, the duo wheel of death. this is the one your mother warned you about.
3/4 horse spinning dual 1" shafts with 10" wheels at a death defying 3600 Reapers Per minute.
All kidding aside this thing is a probable killer but realistically they all are, maybe just to a lesser degree.
while it's not the only killer in the shop this particular buffer model seems to top the list.

I bought this new about 30 years ago and it's the only one I ever used in my shop. I've never lost a knife on it although
I have had it try and grab a few over the years. my secret to staying alive and generally in one piece is to ALWAYS have
ABSOLUTE concentration on the machine your operating, no distractions, no conversations with others and no pissed off moods,
knowing the machine, knowing the inherent traps in it, like no edges touching the wheel that can catch and get pulled in.
While I wouldn't recommend this buffer to most people, I actually feel comfortable using it since I've had it for so long.

ByYwk2S.jpg

Here she is, the duo wheel of death. this is the one your mother warned you about.
3/4 horse spinning dual 1" shafts with 10" wheels at a death defying 3600 Reapers Per minute.
All kidding aside this thing is a probable killer but realistically they all are, maybe just to a lesser degree.
while it's not the only killer in the shop this particular buffer model seems to top the list.

I bought this new about 30 years ago and it's the only one I ever used in my shop. I've never lost a knife on it although
I have had it try and grab a few over the years. my secret to staying alive and generally in one piece is to ALWAYS have
ABSOLUTE concentration on the machine your operating, no distractions, no conversations with others and no pissed off moods,
knowing the machine, knowing the inherent traps in it, like no edges touching the wheel that can catch and get pulled in.
While I wouldn't recommend this buffer to most people, I actually feel comfortable using it since I've had it for so long.

ByYwk2S.jpg
F89A5449-6048-4428-B371-D19DD4041B7F.jpeg

Back