Looking for A Book on welding stainless??

rhinoknives

Hey guys & gals.

I am thinking about getting the knack on how to weld stainless steels together so I can buy stainless Damascus and weld a 5" piece or so of 440C etc for the tang on to it

Anyone know of a good how to book on welding with a small propane or other hand torch?

I've sweat solder and brazed Silver, Bronze & Copper before but I've heard that stainless is a pain to weld, and I don't have any experience with the process or knowledge of what kind of welding equipment is needed for good strong welds? Gas? Arc? etc??

I am just starting the research phase so any hints on books or blogs to read from knowledgeable welder's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
hi Laurence
I don,t have a book on stainless , but I weld it alot with a arc welding and it's not a pain to weld it's very easy to weld stainless.Just keep a pair off safty glass on because when welding stainless after it starts to cold down the flux will pop off so it,s bad to get a piece in your eye.You can get 1/16 stainless rods and you can do some very small jobs with them they will melt on 40 amps .I find stainless melt easy and very easy to work with. You don't need a fancy rig to weld it.A cheap AC welder will work just fine. I have worked with the gas welder to but like the arc better don,t have to miss with changing thing around. I use 3/32 rod the most for what it do.
hope this can help you alittle
If you need more help I will be glad to explain it to you better
Kevin

Kevin seems to have good luck with arc welding, I usually Tig weld stainless but with dissimilar stainless example 440c to 316 im all for silver solder with map gas or better yet tig brazed , im sure there will be many reply's, from I weld nuclear reactor cores to I weld mufflers on cars , each will have its merits, this should be entertaining

Yes Terry This should be good I use mostly 308-16 rods .There are many kinds of stainless so i guess everyone will have there own ways.

Back