Little yaller slip jint.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I'll have this at the blade show but its a prototype it won't be for sale unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. I made some .010" washers to use as spacers instead of milling the relief to prevent scratches on the tang. I'll have to use it for six months or a year to see if this technique holds op under hard use.
The blade is Sandvik 14C28N @ 60 Rc,.075"x2 9/16",400 grit hand finish,it pivots on a 3/16" bronze bushing with two steel spacers .010"x3/16" I D x.280" OD.
The integral bolster/caps/liners are 410 stainless.
The scales are yellow Corian.
The knife is 3 1/4" long closed and weighs 1.8 oz.
As usual,questions,comments and constructive criticsism are welcome.
Y'all enjoy!:biggrin:

I love it Calvin, beautiful work as always.Where in the world did you find yellow corian and in what thickness without having to sand for about 8 hours.

I love it Calvin, beautiful work as always.Where in the world did you find yellow corian and in what thickness without having to sand for about 8 hours.
I got the yellow Corian at the A.G.Russell show last year, it's a little ove 3/8" thick,I sliced it into 3 slices on my bandsaw then taped them to my surface grinder chuck with double sided tape and ground them flat. Nuttin to it!

Very nice Calvin. I'm partial to yellow as a scale colour. Also, thank you for including all the specs as well as I always find that information very interesting.

(noob question: Is it the case that using washers instead of relieving the liner is somehow considered a 'lesser' form of knife making? Is one method more prevalent than the other normally?)

thanks gwf.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the pictures very much !! Thanks for the posting. I believe the 3/16 pivot is a big move ahead. I use them whenever I can. I know you are a quality maker and ask why the steel washers and not the phosphor bronze? Frank

Very nice Calvin. I'm partial to yellow as a scale colour. Also, thank you for including all the specs as well as I always find that information very interesting.

(noob question: Is it the case that using washers instead of relieving the liner is somehow considered a 'lesser' form of knife making? Is one method more prevalent than the other normally?)

thanks gwf.

As far as I know,very few slipjoint makers use washers,in fact,Enrique Pena and I are the only ones,as far as I know.
I didn't know that using washers is considered a lesser form of knife making.
I made the washers in this knife on my lathe,think about that,making washers .010x3/16 IDX.280"OD,it was not an easy task. It is also more difficult to assemble over and over again with the washers,I'm talking about a slipjoint now,not a liner lock,think about that. I wanted to see if I could do it and how it would turn out and if it would be easier than milling the relieve on my pantograph which is the way I've been doing it. It turned out perfect and it will be easier and less time consuming if I make washers in bulk,I said easier,not easy,making slipjoints IS NOT EASY.

I'm enjoying the pictures very much !! Thanks for the posting. I believe the 3/16 pivot is a big move ahead. I use them whenever I can. I know you are a quality maker and ask why the steel washers and not the phosphor bronze? Frank

Frank,I used steel washers instead of bronze because that's what I had on hand. I first made some washers out of copper and then decided not to use them so I used some .010" shim stock I had and made them out of that. I have some stainless steel shim stock ordered and I will use it for the next ones. I haven't been able to find bronze shim stock in the dimension I need,if I do find some I will try it.

As far as I know,very few slipjoint makers use washers,in fact,Enrique Pena and I are the only ones,as far as I know.
I didn't know that using washers is considered a lesser form of knife making.
I made the washers in this knife on my lathe,think about that,making washers .010x3/16 IDX.280"OD,it was not an easy task. It is also more difficult to assemble over and over again with the washers,I'm talking about a slipjoint now,not a liner lock,think about that. I wanted to see if I could do it and how it would turn out and if it would be easier than milling the relieve on my pantograph which is the way I've been doing it. It turned out perfect and it will be easier and less time consuming if I make washers in bulk,I said easier,not easy,making slipjoints IS NOT EASY.

Thanks for taking the time for that noob question Calvin, I appreciate the information and insight.
ps. on re-reading my question I see how it might leave the mistaken impression that I was making a qualitative opinion re: washers vs. milling. Of course this was not my intention. As indicated, I don't know the difference.

Last edited:
Back