Little Giant 50 Pound Hammer

Gliden07

To the people in the know out there, what is the approximate cost to replace the SOW Block on this hammer? Cost on the Hammer is $2500 it is relatively local to me so I would pick it up (no shipping). Or is this a pass item?? I know very little about this equipment (other than running a 25LB one once in a while). Interested in what what you guys think.

Casey posted the company that took over Little Giant. They still have some original parts. Check there site for details. They are extremely knowledgeable and will help you if you call them.

For the price and the cost of the needed part, it's a bargain! Just short of 20 years ago, I sold both my 25 and 50 Little giant hammers to buy my air hammer. I had rebuilt each..... the 25lb LG went for $3900, and the 50lb sold for $6k.

Even to this day, I view Little Giant hammers as investments. Most of my Bladesmithing career was financed by purchasing old hammer that were stuffed back in the corner or some old building, buying them cheap, rebuilding, and selling them. Looking at my records, I've rebuilt/sold 17 25lbers, and 9 50lbers over my career.

For the price and the cost of the needed part, it's a bargain! Just short of 20 years ago, I sold both my 25 and 50 Little giant hammers to buy my air hammer. I had rebuilt each..... the 25lb LG went for $3900, and the 50lb sold for $6k.

Even to this day, I view Little Giant hammers as investments. Most of my Bladesmithing career was financed by purchasing old hammer that were stuffed back in the corner or some old building, buying them cheap, rebuilding, and selling them. Looking at my records, I've rebuilt/sold 17 25lbers, and 9 50lbers over my career.

My problem is I don't have the knowledge to do a rebuild? He wants $6500 for a 25 Pound LG that needs nothing. I thought that was a little stout? But I dont know??

The Little Giant website has a link for "Helpful Documents". The link I posted above actually has the prices for the parts you said you needed.

The sad fact is that just about any power hammer is bringing premium money these days.....another down side to the Forge in Fire era.

I'm pretty sure the days of being able to buy an LG hammer for reasonable money are gone. Even in the current market, $6,500 is steep for a 25lber. That's more money than a brand new Anyang 33lb air hammer!

I'd see what his "bottom dollar" is on that hammer, and if he's unwilling to budge, then you can bet he's just someone who is looking to take advantage in the current market. Often times when I ran across people like that, I would give them my name/number, and tell them when they were ready to be reasonable, give me a call. That usually worked about 50% of the time, some would call weeks or months down the line when nobody would meet their price, asking me if I wanted to "deal" on it.

What would be a resonable price to pay for the 25LB? When I say reasonable I dont mean cheap I mean "ya did alright" price, in the current market!!

What would be a resonable price to pay for the 25LB? When I say reasonable I dont mean cheap I mean "ya did alright" price, in the current market!!

Gliden - Call the number on the Little Giant site and ask... They should be able to give you a ballpark figure. They also have tips on the care and maintenance of the machines.

Back