Little 3-piece hunter...

I'm going to guess 4 hidden pins that fit tightly.

It's simple and awesome. I just scraped everything off my bench into the trash and am starting all over.
I'm thinking similar. Though I would add those four hidden pins are what keeps the scales proud, thus needing to be very exact. (That is if I'm understanding the term 'proud' correctly)

Gorgeous! I love how the clip shows a different perspective of the pattern. Everything is so crisp and clean! Perfection.

A man who pays that much attention to detail does not miscount the number of pieces nor does said man include unnecessary/irrelevant pieces in his work. Scales, blade, screws, and I’m assuming 3 sleeves (not sure what they’re called, but something for each screw to go in) comes out to 12 pieces. So here are my bets...
1) he told us 16 pieces in this post for a reason
2) the 4 missing pieces are critical in this build
3) the 4 pieces ain’t easy to make or install.

I’m curious.
The 4 missing pieces, are little bits of sanity. John has entirely too much patience.

The four missing pieces are the screws I would have launched off the grinder and across the shop to recesses unknown while trying to trim them down!
I fixed that probIem by driIIing a partiaI hoIe in a bar of steeI that was just shy of excepting the depth of the head of the screw. Another bar that was (found) to be the same thickness as the needed Iength of the screw thread, and by cIamping it over the screw head I couId hoId everything firm, cut (hacksaw) and fiIe the end to make the screw the right Iength with no need to go near the grinder. A quick touch up of the sharp edges and the new correct Iength screw was ready to set into the handIe.

I fixed that probIem by driIIing a partiaI hoIe in a bar of steeI that was just shy of excepting the depth of the head of the screw. Another bar that was (found) to be the same thickness as the needed Iength of the screw thread, and by cIamping it over the screw head I couId hoId everything firm, cut (hacksaw) and fiIe the end to make the screw the right Iength with no need to go near the grinder. A quick touch up of the sharp edges and the new correct Iength screw was ready to set into the handIe.

Genius!

I wanted to thank you again, yesterday. I was making a sheath and using your trick of running a reversed, sharpened drill bit as a an awl in the drill press. Perfect holes, all in a line. Simply magical!

Beautiful as always John. I like the round spine to flat (clip/swedge?). Different and the first I've seen of it done that way.

Question: No epoxy? If I remember right in your 1084 WIPish you mentioned putting hidden pins and no epoxy so that the knife could be taken apart. Is that how you did these scales?

Last edited:
Back