Lined Sheath

Jon Kelly

Here is a lined sheath I built today for a Camp knife I did awhile back. I royally screwed up the first attempt with a bunch of unnecessary tooling, so I toned it down a bit and worked within the parameters of my current abilities. A sewing machine would be nice to have, lol. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• PC150068.jpg
    PC150068.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 101
Looks good - simple but elegant. Looking at the border you've got, I might try the same idea on my next sheath.

Ken H>

Looks great and you discovered the secret, "less is more" at least with simple elegance! :35:

What's up with the Sam Brown stud? Is there a frog or hold down with this one???

In case your not familiar with what I am talking about here is photo from the net of a couple of sheaths by Paul Long, the one on the left has a frog, that is the piece that the sheath slides into and has a belt loop on the backside. A frog allow for you to be seated and remove your long blade, so you can be seated comfortably without un-blelting the sheath itself. The other use on the right side acts as a knife hold down!

100_2267.jpg

In case you are not familiar with Paul Long he is a master leather man. His sheaths are always outstanding. He also has several DVD's out on sheath making. Paul is a real nice fellow and will take the time to answer your questiosns.
Here is a link to a couple of his DVD's,
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Blade-Sheaths-Paul-Long/dp/B004A9G7NQ

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Pouch-Sheaths-Paul-Long/dp/B004A9NJHS

And no I don't work for Paul nor do I owe him anything but a lot admiration for his work!!:35:

Last edited:
I considered building a frog for this, and may yet, however for now the Sam Brown stud will allow for simple sheath retention between the belt and body, which (not being a professional) I believe is an acceptable no frills simple design option. (?) The blade is long enough and the fit tight enough that there is no chance of the blade falling out of the sheath. Another option I think would simple be to make a separate single piece thong that wraps around the back side of the handle and hooks onto the Stud on both ends, which you have probably also seen.

I have Paul's DVD's, and they are a priceless resource which I encourage everyone to purchase if they are serious about learning to make a decent knife sheath. I am very grateful for guys like Paul who share their amazing talents so generously.

Thanks for the input as I have much to learn!!

JON, the sheath as you have shown it, I refer to as a "sash" sheath. The function of the stud is exactly as you described, being a stop when the sheath is inserted under the belt or sash. This was a very popular way to carry back in Jim Bowie's day.

Now a word about your work. In fact, just one word. GREAT! Well designed and constructed, very clean and well finished. Your grade….A+

Also thanks for the kind words about the DVDs. There is now available a fourth DVD for folder sheaths. It comes from many of the same sources as the first three.

Paul

Paul, and everyone else, thank you for the encouragement. There are some design elements that will be addressed in the future, such as using materials that better match those used in the construction of the knife. I'm working with bare bones materials and tools at this point so it is what it is. I will be creating an inventory of various tools, studs, leather, and other necessaries as my needs and abilities dictate. My goal is to always build a knife and sheath that are 'good enough'. :)

Back