Light Tent + Better light = Better pictures = Better money

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
The better pictures you take, the more you sell your knives for. Hands down.

The best pictures start with excellent lighting. Ask any pro, it's about the lighting. When you go get your family portrait taken, they don't fiddle with the lenses or focus or background. That is 5 seconds each for those things. It's the lights they fool with until you are so aggravated you just want it done.

My set up is too big for most but I have to take pictures of products that are sometimes large.
Here is my light tent.
It is 1" pvc with pcv corners all slip fit together. For the light diffuser, I use Velum paper (architects paper) and scotch tape it. (I have a couple insanely large rolls of it I will need to get listed on my supply site. I guess I better get that done quickly.) It is available in the office supply places.

I use common white foam board for the side. The lights are daylight color (important to use daylight color) fluorescent bulbs in common reflector clamp lamps or what ever I had around.

Rule of thumb is 2/3's of the light from the back, 1/3 up front.

light-tent-front.jpg

I use a power strip to turn all of these on and off at once. I make sure and turn off the tungsten over head lights so I don't get a red cast to the picture.
light-tent-back.jpg

Here is a product picture. This was done using a hand held Nikon Coolpix 10meg and no flash. I sharpened it a bit and very slightly adjusted the mid tone contrast in photoshop 3.

clear-top-tins.jpg

Last edited:
couple more things:
The table has adjustable legs and I have them lowered so I can work standing up.
The trip pod is Benbo Trekker and can be fixed in a number of awkward ways. I like it as it can get into the light box.

I use boxes to raise and lower products closer to the lens. It's easier than readjusting the tri-pod.

On critical pictures, I use the remote control (the key fob looking thing hanging on the tripod) to set off the camera. If I don't have that, I use the self timer on the camera. Just pushing the button makes the picture fuzzier so the remote or self timer helps.

I bought a pad of various colored art paper from a scrap booking store. It had a hundred or so different colored pieces of paper for a back grounds. When one gets dirty, I throw it and use a new one. You can see a couple of them if you look close.

Occasionally I will use a black piece of foam board to reflect back into a very shiny surface so I don't see room or light reflections on a blade.

Awesome Tutorial Boss!!

I really like the setup, when I get more room I will have to build something similar!!

Hey Tracey, that would work for me. I need something larger than what I made because I do long ceremonial pipes, Tomahawks, etc.

Thanks for posting. Now I just need to learn how to use the camera. LOL

Larry

Nice tutorial , and if I may add , if you use a CPL filter , you could get rid of those reflections on the glass as well.

:)

Nice setup! I'm actually going to need to build a little lightbox for the project I'm currently working on, so maybe I'll post up pictures in here when I do, if you don't mind the addition?

~Noah

Well, I started work on my lightbox today! So far I just have my frame built, and I haven't decided whether to use velum paper, a white sheet, or white garbage bags--I've heard of all three being used, now. Here is a picture of mine, and yes, I meant to leave out a bar on the bottom because I'm going to be hanging a backdrop and I didn't want a bar to be in the way of it. If I don't like it, I can always cut another piece of PVC :)

9h4bqv.jpg

~Noah

I need to get around to building a replacement tent , my old one got destroyed when the shop ceiling came down on it . Lately I usually just use a pair of umbrella's with these lights or a pair of Canon 430 EX II's flashes fired by wireless triggers....

((shot taken today while my son was toying with some settings on his new to him Rebel XT ((my old camera))).

setup.jpg

hehe , nice touch eh ? I had my 11 yr old as well as my 17 yr old son messing with their D-SLR's learning lighting , exposure , shutter speed , and how they all work together.

It's cheap entertainment , and they get to learn something in the process.

One my 11yr old shot in one of his practice sessions ( he was going for bell of the trumpet in focus and the rest fading to blur , he got close ).

family_20091121_0316.jpg

Back