Let's play... Name that wood.

BRad704

I bought this as a cutting board, but I think its actually intended to be a serving platter. Either way, that's not why I bought it. The wood is quite dense and heavy, so I'm thinking of cutting it up for handles or scales.

Anyone recognize the type of wood? Honest question because I have no idea.

The burl type middle is a yellow color while the surrounding wood is pinkish.

8yhuse7e.jpg
ha7upebe.jpg
8u5ugeta.jpg
ajyjudy9.jpg
na3a2a3a.jpg
ysa9usyn.jpg

Actually, as I think about it, its a bit hard to tell. I'd say either Olive Wood Burl or Cherry Burl, the smell should give it away.

Last edited:
Wow. I think you nailed it. Based on the pic below, it looks exactly like Olive wood burl. :)

I picked up this piece at TJ Max for $10, because it was not labeled and that's what the same size bamboo cutting boards were selling for. The guy at the register said he thought it was Grape wood, because they cut down the trees after the grapes stop producing. ??? Ummm, okaayyy... thanks.

il_570xN.481107697_n6q8.jpg

don't want to speak for Randy but i'm sure either of us would be glad to double your investment:biggrin:

It can be difficult to name a wood after they are seasoned, cut and finished.

One thing I can say is don't use those Bamboo cutting boards. Despite all the happy talk and them being organic etc there can be a ton of silica in it and the plastics they use to process them are rock hard and will dull out your cutlery in a hurry.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Good to know guys! I never really thought about those reasons, but I bought my Gf and Mom each a custom end-grain black walnut cutting block for Christmas this year. No cheap-o boards for us. :)

While I have some very knowledgeable attention on this thread. I am about to make 2 kitchen knives, and want to make a hinged wooden storage box for them (instead of a sheath. I WAS thinking about using some of the bamboo cutting boards, but is there something better (and affordable) that you could recommend?

I am not a box builder by any stretch but I don't see any reason that bamboo shouldn't work fine because of the stability from the plastic it's filled with. Besides if you already have them you don't have to buy more.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back