Let us know if you want a "basics of heat treating" set of posts from Cashen

Thanks for the post. It is a useful reinforcement of the information you emailed me a couple weeks ago on 52100.

I would like to disagree with your suggestion of requiring two pages of reply to include in the index sticky. The day before yesterday, I referred again to a post of yours elsewhere on the three steel types. My head hurt the first time I read it. (Most likely the rum more than the content :) ) I didn't reply back then - or even this time, but that doesn't decrease the enduring value of the information.

Keep writing my friend, and please index it all in a sticky. If I don't respond, it's just because I'm socially inept - not because I don't value the gift.

Rob!

I think of Kevin Cashen as the dispeller of myth and the champion for real metallurgy. He has attempted to put to rest much of the smoke and mirrors, the mystic folklore and the coveted, I know something you don't know mish/mash of metallurgical soup that we as knife makers must swim through in order to heat treat our own steel.
I sent Mr. Cashen an e-mail a couple of years ago thanking him for helping me understand metallurgy and for making heat treating an enjoyable part of the work that takes place in my knife shop.

Again Sir, thank you for the leg up; please share your knowledge with us, here on KD.

Fred

Thanks for the post. It is a useful reinforcement of the information you emailed me a couple weeks ago on 52100.

I would like to disagree with your suggestion of requiring two pages of reply to include in the index sticky. The day before yesterday, I referred again to a post of yours elsewhere on the three steel types. My head hurt the first time I read it. (Most likely the rum more than the content :) ) I didn't reply back then - or even this time, but that doesn't decrease the enduring value of the information.

Keep writing my friend, and please index it all in a sticky. If I don't respond, it's just because I'm socially inept - not because I don't value the gift.

Rob!

+1 :)

Kevin,
Your knowledge has much value to it, we all sit up and take notice when you post. I often refer back to your articles or posts to reaffirm my path when cooking up an unfamiliar steel . Do the sticky please.....lead us towards the light.

Personally, I'd be interested in a non mumbo jumbo piece on 52100 as it relates to proceedure specifically. The varied recipes have me second guessing myself after the fact.

Rudy

Last edited:
Thank you Kevin Cashen and thanks to all members for there help and advice here on knifedogs.
I continue to read and learn on this forum from all of you, and carbon steels are my steel of choice.
I still consider myself a newbie and the termonology is one of the hardest things for me to comprehend.
Kevin I know you are a very busy man and I will take any information I can from you, just point us in the right direction. Thank you

I for one would like to see Kevin publish more here on KnifeDogs as well. Even though metallurgy is right up there with electrical calculations and Calculus as far as I'm concerned (meaning I can't wrap my brain around most of it...lol), I still try and understand as much of it as I can!!

Let me end 2012 with a sincerest sentiment of my appreciation for the confidence you kind folks here have shown in my ability to help sort out the sometimes daunting task of heat treating, and the value you place on my input. Thank you, you honor me.

But now I have covered virtually all of the major heat treating operations with basic primers. If that is enough then I will help in any way I can with our continued discussions. But if you would like more of these types of write-ups on more advanced, specialized or secondary topics, just let me know, I aim to please. If that is the case- I need ideas! What would you folks like to see more information on?

Last edited:
Back