Leather sheath Loosening-up ?

Steve Randall

I just want to start off by saying thanks for this resource. the people on here have helped me with various leather sheath issues. I come again for some more help. I mostly make pouch style sheaths for my knives (no retaining strap ),I dye them, then apply a couple of coats of Atom wax . When they leave my shop the knife is quite snug, but the problem is over time they seem to loosen and don't hold the knife well. any suggestions appreciated, as always. Steve

If you don't already doit, try wet forming the sheth around the knife and make the sheath tight to start with and let the wet leather stretch some to fit snug around the sheath.

Thanks. yes I do wet mold the sheath, also make a small riser in the welt to catch/ secure the blade. When they leave my shop they are tight . I had one come back after some time and hard use that was loose,in fact it was nice and soft supple leather. I did wet mold it again and it stiffened up. I was surprised at how soft it was and wonder if there is something to prevent this from happening?

thanks Steve

wet forming alone will not keep the sheath tight - for that you need to use the cuir bouilli method - ie dampen the leather (not soaking wet but wet through) then heat to above 150°-160° F - at that heat the leather is changed at the molecular level

Back