Latest work - CPM 154CM, finger groove grip, mammoth & turquoise pin skinner

Frank Hunter

After getting behind due to illness I'm so busy on several fronts it's not even funny. Thank you all so much for your knowledge and energy, here's the latest finished one to show off.

This one is a 3 7/8" blade semi-nessmuk skinner with some customization including a finger-groove style grip profile from a similarly sized knife. The blade is 5/32" CPM 154CM, with double mitered 304 stainless bolsters. The owner worked with me on the pattern, adding a lanyard hole, filled pins and a classy custom etch to the requests. He picked out a great set of blue/gold mammoth scales from my inventory. This set was from John Doyle here in Montana and I hope I did it justice. The pins are 1/4" .030 wall brass with turquoise crush fill. This is the first knife I've finished with fileworking on it and thinking about it, the first lanyard hole through the bolster as well. The tang is tapered and heavily skeletonized, balance is at the first finger. Everything is mirror polished that can be and there's a tooled caramel colored horizontal sheath with to go with it. It might be time for professional photography if orders of this caliber keep coming in, it's humbling to look through my portfolio and see the improvements this forum and the knife community has helped me add to my work.

IMG_3268.jpgIMG_3287.jpgIMG_3290.jpgIMG_3292.jpgIMG_3294.jpgIMG_3302.jpgIMG_3324.jpgIMG_3265.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,
Excellent job on your fit and finish!!! This is a knife to be very proud of.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wade

Thank you so much, guys. This one has opened up a whole new level of addiction for me - embellishment. Now I'm obsessing with filework patterns, and I'm looking at an air graver and designs right now, even. I hope the client likes it as much as I do, this knife really has some punch. I've decided to work with a very skilled local photographer, Merrit Olson, going forward and get some great shots of subsequent knives. He has a Facebook page for his work and I can't help but give him a plug - he's a whole lot better at what he does than I am at what I do, in my opinion.

Back