Latest Net blog write-up on Rhino Knives & Wesside Sharpening & Cutlery Center.

rhinoknives

Hello to all you Knife Dogs & Doggettes.

A lady came into my Cutlery store and said she was a writer/Blogger from the LA Weekly and want to write a piece on me and the Store & my Knives.

She got a few of the facts mixed up that I told her about knives,
but I'm not complaining!

She spelled my name right, is funny and got the links straight on the store & my knives so all is great!:biggrin:

Take a look if you like?

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/07/westside_knife_laurence_segal.php

Thanks everyone!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Great write up Laurence !

Except of course that bit about "never, ever carbon steels" Bwahhhhahahahahahaha :)

Glad to see you get some free local advertising buddy

-Josh

Thanks Josh,
That's one of the things she got correct!
I don't think Carbon steels have any place in a Modern Kitchen or restaurant. People don't know how to care for it. I get Carbon steel knives in for sharpening that are Black & red with rust. It stinks when I sharpen & clean them, even with my respirator on.

I just don't have any idea where this Gal got the idea that I am Opinionated? :les: :biggrin: LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Great write up Laurence !

Except of course that bit about "never, ever carbon steels" Bwahhhhahahahahahaha :)

Glad to see you get some free local advertising buddy

-Josh

Great write up. Congrats. and continued success

But I gota agree with Josh. CARBON steel will always have its proper place in the kitchen. In the hand of the Sous Chef, and in the hand of his head chef, and in the hands of the prep and line cooks. Pretty much perfect everywhere, except for the butter knives. Then I agree they should be stainless. lol ;)

Stay sharp.
Randy

Great write up. Congrats. and continued success

But I gota agree with Josh. CARBON steel will always have its proper place in the kitchen. In the hand of the Sous Chef, and in the hand of his head chef, and in the hands of the prep and line cooks. Pretty much perfect everywhere, except for the butter knives. Then I agree they should be stainless. lol ;)

Stay sharp.
Randy

OK Randy,
I have one simple question for you? LOL
WHY? What does carbon steel bring to food preparation besides rust,darkening & adding a metallic taste to some foods??

Thanks for the Congrats!

Laurence

Laurence. I didnt mean to turn this post into a Stainless VS. Carbon thread. Thats been hashed out over and over. I was just messing with ya!

So I hope we can agree to disagree and leave it at that for now.. Congrats to ya again for the nice write up and added exposure and continued success

God Bless
Randy

The japanese Chefs refuse to use stainless on thier personal sushi blades . They simply like the flavor carbon steel imparts . They make and ship all thier sushi stainless blades to the westerners . When I lived in Japan ,I was surprized they did that ......... Polished and sharpened this one for a friend . That super blue steel get so sharp , thats another reason they like them. I personally like stainless or damascus blades myself for the kitchen . too much maintenance on high carbon blades . The exception is weapons made from Tamahagane.

Attachments

• old Sushi Knife 001.jpg
    old Sushi Knife 001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 7
  • old Sushi Knife 001.jpg
    old Sushi Knife 001.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 7
  • old Sushi Knife 007.jpg
    old Sushi Knife 007.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks Mark,

This lady got so many things I said mixed up that it's funny! for one I am no fan of Chinese made products/Knives.
I told her I used the pattern of the Chinese chop / Japanese Nakari and blended it with a Inuit Ulu knife because I liked the functionality of the two and saw how they could compliment each other when combined into one tool.

All is well since I have had a sale of one of my chops and one 9 3/4 chef directly from the article.

Yep!
I do like working with that stabilized Sycamore wood. sometimes it raises a little bit after I am done with everything on it, 800 -2000 grit and buff with fabuluster white.
Usually it in the spotted snake skin parts were I get a slight texture pattern raise up.

It looks and feels cool to the touch as you use the knife.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Laurence Segal,It seems you have a good Cutlery store. I like to give our mother a sharp meat cutting knife. So she can use it to cut meat efficiently whenever possible. Do you have Ulu knives in the store?. If you have how much one Ulu knife?

Back