Latest Knife....first new knife posted on the forum

Hey guys, this is my latest knife. This one was commissioned by my stepdad for a fun auction for a beefmaster cattle organization he's in. I chose the pecan wood since it's the state tree of Texas.

New Jersey Steel Baron 1084

Heated to 815C and quenched in water prior to bevels being ground

Tempered 3 times a 425F.

~59 Rockwell C, I didn't measure the hardness on this one but I am very familiar with the bar of steel this blade came from and I've heat treated several knives that have come out with this hardness using the same process on.

600 grit "gator" (Trizact) belt finish on bevels and false edge. 400 grit hand finish on flats. I used this finish because I had to restart from scratch due to a stress crack in the blade on the first knife. My stepdad loved the finish and I didn't have time to show him a hand finish to see which he liked better

Handle material is stabilized spalted pecan with brass mosaic pins.

False edge is ground almost sharp.

Comments and critique's are appreciate

Attachments

• IMG_20151202_100343243.jpg
    IMG_20151202_100343243.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20151202_100426358.jpg
    IMG_20151202_100426358.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 110
Yeah....I took the pictures in the car on the way to deliver the knife if I remember correctly. I'm bad about taking pictures last minute before a knife goes off to someone.

I like it especially the brass mosaic pins, I have been thinking I would like to try mosaics on my next knife.

The only critique I can make and its probably just the setting for the photo is that in the top view photo one scale looks a little wider than the other but again that is probably just the and effect of the shadows etc. in the photo.

Keep it up I really like the wooden scales. The only thing I have used so far is some homemade Micarta like material and deer antler.

Back