Latest FIF

opaul

I enjoyed the latest episode that aired last night. All smiths started out with the same known steel billet(s). All made some nice blades that went through all phases of testing.

I missed it. FIF has it share of haters and I understand that. I enjoy watching the last round when they are in their home forges. You get to see different shops and a little bit more reality of knife making.

This was a good show. They were each given three bars of 1084/15N20 (if I remember correctly) and were required to twist each piece and forge weld into a blade of their choice. One contestant was color blind so he used salt, that he put in the kiln to tell him when his blade reached quenching temperature. Not sure why he didn't use a magnet but the judges were impressed with the technique.

I liked it - for once it seems like they had 4 good knifemakers to start, just one didn't turn his billets right to get the desired pattern. In the 2nd part the loser just plain ran out of time, he REALLY needed that pin in handle. I wondered it they were even going to test it - remember the lady who made the sword and didn't put a pin in handle with only epoxy holding handle on? They wouldn't even test sword, but a sword would put more stress on handle I guess was the thinking.

The final confirms again, make it light! Those judges just don't like the heavy swords, and I do understand. While that Damascus did ok and pattern really looked good, I don't think I've ever seen a time when judges say "Damascus did the trick and won", it's usually the Damascus has a flaw and causes a loss. I'd think NEVER use Damascus - go with a good monosteel only.

I liked it - for once it seems like they had 4 good knifemakers to start, just one didn't turn his billets right to get the desired pattern. In the 2nd part the loser just plain ran out of time, he REALLY needed that pin in handle. I wondered it they were even going to test it - remember the lady who made the sword and didn't put a pin in handle with only epoxy holding handle on? They wouldn't even test sword, but a sword would put more stress on handle I guess was the thinking.

The final confirms again, make it light! Those judges just don't like the heavy swords, and I do understand. While that Damascus did ok and pattern really looked good, I don't think I've ever seen a time when judges say "Damascus did the trick and won", it's usually the Damascus has a flaw and causes a loss. I'd think NEVER use Damascus - go with a good monosteel only.

I agree with Mono steel. I've seen Demascus make a difference when both makers do really good with the final testing. They use the Demascus to break a tie usually the loser used a mono steel. I dont know if you can use leftover bits from your stash but guards and accessories to finish off the final piece would be a good use of Demascus.

This was a good show. They were each given three bars of 1084/15N20 (if I remember correctly) and were required to twist each piece and forge weld into a blade of their choice. One contestant was color blind so he used salt, that he put in the kiln to tell him when his blade reached quenching temperature. Not sure why he didn't use a magnet but the judges were impressed with the technique.
Haven't watched a forged in fire for awhile, but the salt trick seems like a good idea. Salt melts at 1465, non- magnetic is around 1420 give or take.

Haven't watched a forged in fire for awhile, but the salt trick seems like a good idea. Salt melts at 1465, non- magnetic is around 1420 give or take.
That's a good idea. I'm sure my little paint can forge has hot spots. Sprinkling some salt around might at least give an idea of where the hot spots are.

You're right. I need to do that. In fact I have some square pipe that is ideal for that. Next heat treat I'll give it a try. Thanks.
I’ve seen and read about using a muffler or similar for maintaining temps. Even saw someone use it with a coal forge on FIF.

Back