Latest Damascus Hatchet

Discussion in 'Tomahawks, Axes and other Choppers' started by EdCaffreyMS, Oct 8, 2017.

1. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

Thought I would do something different..... a Double Bit Hatchet in "Fossil" Damascus. :)

16 3/4" overall, head is 6 3/8" edge to edge. Head is finished with clear Gun-Kote for near zero maintenance, and durability, Blackened Hickory handle with Tru-Oil finish, and leather sheath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Moderator

Man that's sweet Ed. I could hack up some kindling in style with that. LOL Especially love the contour of the handle. May I ask how you colored the Hickory? Fiebings maybe?

3. C Craft

C Craft Well-Known Member

Very nice, Ed! Two thumbs up!!!

4. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

Darrin...... a really tedious and exacting method....... a propane torch! :) That hickory sucks up Tru-Oil like a sponge when it's hot! :)

Seriously, that is what I did.....blacked the handle with a propane torch, slathered it with tru-oil, which is sucked right up, and then after letting it sit overnight, started adding a coat of Tru-Oil about every two hours, for a total of 12 coats.

Smallshop, mike miller and Matt Kirby like this.
  5. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Moderator

Well I'll be danged. Never would have thought that. Thanks for the tip. And now I have Roger Miller stuck in my head. LOL

6. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

That is really nice!!

7. Dusty One

Dusty One Well-Known Member

Great looking piece !

8. opaul

opaul Well-Known Member

That sir is a nice looking hatchet.