latest commission W.I.P

NPD

i will like to sow you one of my latest commission.
The customer sow the little cleaver and he ask me if I can make him a bigger one, he gave me the dimensions and ask me if I can make a drawing to see how it will look.
Well here we go..
Started off with a 4mm 1095 and 15n20 steel Fire storm Damascus.
Total length 210mm, and 38mm at the widest point.

Any comments or criticism are welcome.
Thanks for looking
Nektarios

brian2.jpg

And with the left over’s I have made 2 kiridashi.
brian3.jpg

To be continued.

Last edited:
Looks great, I like the larger one better already! Im subscribing and cant wait to see this one come together!

Thanks for sharing!

Ok here we go again.
Today’s work, I start to draw the shape of the knife to the scales and cut them, I forgot to take some pictures in between but I think that we know how to do that:D

brian4.jpg

brian5.jpg

brian6.jpg

After that was time to grind the bevels,
brian7.jpg

brian8.jpg

and drill the necessary holes to the scales.
brian9.jpg

brian10.jpg

Next is to clean the blade and star to give shape to the scales.
brian11.jpg

To be continued.

Last edited:
An a bit more
I have started to give shape to the scales and after that I will clean the blade and make it ready for HT.

brian12.jpg

brian13.jpg

brian14.jpg

brian15.jpg

Looks great so far..
I always test my culinary blade profiles on a cutting board to get a Idea of the clearance below the handle.
It's hard to tell but from the pics it looks like there could be a bit more clearance needed for the knuckles/Hand?

Possibly shave a bit more off the bottom, without getting into your drilled tang holes of course, especially towards the end of the handle.

Nice looking Cleaver/Chop.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks for the tip Laurence i will use it for the next kitchen knife,
but this knife it will not see any hard work in the kitchen the customer it will use the knife for personal use.

NP

Here we go again.
Today i have started to give the final shape to the handle and again I forgot to take some pictures.

brian16.jpg

brian17.jpg

After that comes the fun part to remove any possible scratches and make the handle 90% ready.
brian18.jpg

brian19.jpg

And as you can see in this case the pivot screws are a big help for this job.
brian20.jpg

brian21.jpg

When the time comes to put everything back together I will replace the pivot screws with some Corby bolts lanyard tube and a mosaic pin.

To be continued.

Today i have start to clean the knife and make it ready for HT
And I’m making sure one more time that everything fit’s together because after etching the blade I will not have the opportunity to correct the mistakes with out to damage the profile of the Damascus and therefore I’m checking for mistakes now.

brian22.jpg

brian23.jpg

brian24.jpg

brian25.jpg

To be continued.
Thanks for looking
Nektarios

And this is the final result.
Still have to make the sheath.
Hope you like it.

Regards
NP

brian26.jpg

brian27.jpg

brian28.jpg

brian29.jpg

brian30.jpg

brian31.jpg

I'm impressed. You did a great job on the knife, and the photo wip was well done. It's kind of like looking over your shoulder at your work. It can be difficult to do because you sometimes get so caught up in what you are doing that you forget to document the steps. You have done very well, and should be proud.
By the way...this one I like better than the smaller one. But that's my choice. Both are nice.

Thanks for the kind words Eric
Yep you are right that I dint comment all the steps but I was making 3 knifes and 2 WIP at that time and it was a little difficult to do the work and remember to take pictures at the same time. But I will try to do it better next time:D

Nektarios

Finally it’s ready to go to his new owner.
And I hope he will like it like I do:D

Thanks for looking
Nektarios

brian32.jpg

brian33.jpg

brian34.jpg

brian35.jpg

Back