Latest chefs knife

Kev

Critiques wanted and welcomed. I’m not new to kitchen knives, but I am new to making them. I like how this one turned out. I’m going to add a little more belly next time, like maybe another 1/16” drop, but this works well. Alabama Damascus with cork oak burl. 69041

Critiques wanted and welcomed. I’m not new to kitchen knives, but I am new to making them. I like how this one turned out. I’m going to add a little more belly next time, like maybe another 1/16” drop, but this works well. Alabama Damascus with cork oak burl. View attachment 69041
Very nice, Kev! I like the blade shape a lot. The handle is finished nicely as well. The only critique I would have is that I would maybe put a third pin in the handle of the next one. I only say this because my eye is drawn to the empty space between the pins. Of course that’s just opinion. Great job!

I love it! I personally don’t like much belly on a chefs knife because I only use the tip for rocking. I do a lot of push and draw cutting and the more edge I can get down flat on the board means the less accordian-cuts I get. My wife thinks every knife is a guillotine/cleaver combo- so no belly for her, either.

You asked for feedback, and the only part of the design that I think could be aesthetically improved is the butt of the handle. If it flared or hooked a tiny bit then that gorgeous handle woukd get the notice it deserves. A flat butt would also look nicely dramatic if you’re going for the traditional Japanese round handle look.

Nice!!! I love making kitchen knives...no sheath woooooo hoooooo
I always put mine in a light leather cover which is really a sheath without a belt loop. Simple to do and I know the knife will be protected. Whether the customer continues to use the cover is up to them but it is there if they need/want it. Not everyone has a knife block on the bench (or likes them) so many keep the chef knife in a drawer. I made a special drawer only an 1 1/2 deep with a sheet of 1/4 in material in the bottom with a handle cut out so my wifes knives have an individual resting place which is all very fine untill I make her new ones and have to replace the insert with new cut outs.

Very nice Kev!, the only things I would look at maybe changing is what John said, flaring the end of the handle some.
you didn't say if that handle was stabilized, being burl I assume it is. I think the two pins looks good, letting the wood stand out like it should, anything not stabilized I would use three pins to prevent any warping and pulling away from the tang.

But I got to say, that is a really eye catching kitchen knife right there, well done! :D

Back