Latest Chefette in CPM-D2 with Red Flame Elder

rhinoknives

DSCN0379.jpgHeres a 4 3/4" CPM-D2 blade 10 1/4" OAL Stabilized by WSSI Red flame box Elder.

This one isDSCN0371.jpg sold, I have these in three blade lenghts 4 3/4" 7 3/4" & 9 3/4: In CPM-S35VN for the bigger ones and the Chefette in 440C

Comments anyone? Besides the lousy pictures? LOL

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
Thanks SC,
That D2. Even the CPM-D2 Tool steel always seems to have that kinda orange peel looking finish to it. The CPM-D2 does Take and hold a mean sharp convex edge

The smallest, This Chefette in 4 3/4" will now be in 440C with the two larger sizes in CPM S35-VN.
These are lots of fun to make and my Customers sure are happy with them.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Cory,
There are no dumb questions? Just dumb answers! lol.
The holes are to assist with a pinch grip of your thumb & fingers, Gives you lots of purchase on the spine area if you wish to do some guillotine chopping.
Us dumb American's are the only ones that use the handle to hold the knife. In the frenchy Chef schools they teach people to always hold the knife by the spine.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence - Thank you for clearing that up! Was convinced the holes were there to lighten the blade and make it look pretty lol

Would love to get one of these some day, the handle looks like it would be a comfort knife to use.

Thanks for the kind words.
I had a bunch of these, 62 total of this and 4 other patterns water jet cut. The 9 3/4 Chef model like this one just longer is my second biggest seller next to my Rhino Chop, Which still out sells the rest.
It has taken several modifications to get to this current handle design.

I get great feedback on it. But it may change again, If I feel there is a need to improve it more?

It does lighten the blade too. which always helps unless you need the weight for a blunt trama weapon
like a meat cleaver.:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

jawsnapwestsidesharpening-9956-M.jpgCory, Here is a pic of what she looked like just before assembly.
A Photo student at UCLA contacted me and want ed come by and take some pictures for a class assignment of a Artisian working in their shop.
He took some interesting ones. here a just a couple.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/jawsnapwestsidesharpening-9759-M.jpg

Laurence - Thank you for sharing a couple more pictures! I'm still very impressed with the handle design and with the overall flow of the knife. It would be great to see one in person, and the pictures show it off even more.

Thanks again!

Cory

Cory,
The second pic is my Rhino Chop, It has the same handle configuration. I have put this handle on all of my Culinary knives except for my Paring / Steak pattern. It's too small for it.

So what have you been doing with your knife work lately???

Do tell? As bug's Bunny would say! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

So what have you been doing with your knife work lately???

Do tell? As bug's Bunny would say! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Well, lately I have been working on fillet knives and a few odd ball items. Its been slow around the shop this last month, but there is always something to work on. I just finished a higher end kitchen knife this week, and hope to make a few more of them in the near future!

Cory

Well, lately I have been working on fillet knives and a few odd ball items. Its been slow around the shop this last month, but there is always something to work on. I just finished a higher end kitchen knife this week, and hope to make a few more of them in the near future!

Cory

Do you have a picture of this latest Kitchen knife?

I Wanna see it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I bought the blank, I don't have the machines or the money to invest into forging right now... The core steel is VG10 with layers of stainless around it, and the handle is Redwood burl. The dang thing has a wicked edge to it! It bit me a few times lol.

There is a matching hunting knife to go with it that is made out of AUS8 and will have Redwood burl also. They are a wedding gift that a neighbor commissioned me to make.

Well it looks great, One suggestion from a guy that lives were the Stars & Suits and the want to be's are your market!
It's a Culinary knife.
For a Pro Chef, Or someone that wants to think that they are.
In my market in the Westside of Los Angeles. The term Kitchen knife cheapens your product.

In Japanese they call a Chef knife like the one you finished & handled a "Guyto" improve your terminology and I bet you will improve your sales & Price for your work! Got to get some sleep now, Big day tomorrow.

Cheers!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well it looks great, One suggestion from a guy that lives were the Stars & Suits and the want to be's are your market!
It's a Culinary knife.
For a Pro Chef, Or someone that wants to think that they are.
In my market in the Westside of Los Angeles. The term Kitchen knife cheapens your product.

In Japanese they call a Chef knife like the one you finished & handled a "Guyto" improve your terminology and I bet you will improve your sales & Price for your work! Got to get some sleep now, Big day tomorrow.

Cheers!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thank you for the advice! I'll gladly use the correct titles to try to sell these things!

Isn't it amazing how one refers to a product effects a customers perception?

It seems in marketing it is very important. I was once told that my knives would be better recived if I didnt call them "Homemade"!

Now I understand his point! I've found that if you will do a bit of research, and use the proper terms, know the particular use, and historic materials, you are not only more educated on the subject (which many customers pick up on) but your knives if the craftsmanship is there, seem to be more valued.

"Culinary Knives" are a lat of fun for me, but actually a bit more difficult than I thought they would be!

God Bless
Mike

Yes Mike,
People think well, it's just a kitchen knife, It can't be that hard?
Designing and shaping the correct angles for a knife that is worked on a cutting board is much more involed than most think.
Especial for the different tasks needed by a good cook or Chef.

Marketing is quite a bit of everything.
One example is the Chinese Goose berry. I know you are thinking what the heck is that and I don' think I want to eat one!
They changed the name some 20 years back to Kiwi Fruit, The little juicy ones with the sweet & sour green meat inside and the fuzz that you would think that it needed shaving on the outside.

They are all the rage for summer fruit salad and a Garnish here on the West Coast at finer eating establishments and garden parties.
Their grown in N. california and some other places, Maybe even New Zealand? lol.

Marketing and proper product naming for Niche marketing are everything!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

As I learned in a Bussiness Development class a few years ago.
"Perception IS reality" right or wrong, correct or not.

Managing peoples perception with a bit of knowledge can GREATLY change their perception thus their opinion.

Laurence, on your chefs, Ive noticed multiple holes, I understand this is to aid purchase while doing a pinch grip. But do multiple holes just give you that many more position options? Just curious.

God Bless
Mike

Back