Last warning on version upgrade

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We are moving to the new vBulletin version as soon as possible. We found evidence of hacking on the server which may explain the idiot spammers getting into the site here lately despite the security blocks we have in place.

What a version change means to you:

• Your favorite style will disappear. We will work on bringing them back as best we can.
  • We will lose all custom graphics such as our cool looking dog at the top of the page. We will reload them as soon as we can figure out how to do it. This will be a lower priority. We have to do other things first.
  • The site will be slightly slower as the new version code has lots of diagnostic code still embedded to help troubleshoot this release. Over time it will get faster.
  • We may break some links. Probably not, but we might.
  • We are dumping the add on photo gallery. Your images should be OK, we will just lose the add on photo gallery module
  • The Mobile app will be broken until we can find someone to update it. There is some technical voodoo around that I don't have a clue about. The web tech guy we had employed for installing it before is in the wind so we are looking for a new vBulletin support consultant. You would think there would be a lot of them. There isn't.
  • You will think we don't know what we are doing. Probably true.
  • You won't like how this version does this vs. "the old way". We won't either.

Drink some decaff, put on your big boy pants. New dog town on the way...

After a life time of upgrades and total software replacements I feel the pain. No matter what we did we could never make it painless. Tracy we always survived the pain, it made us stronger. Most of the time the ones who request the upgrade or change cried the loudest.

Even if you have the best consultants, Murphy will show up to mess you up. Good luck with this!

Just do it!

Glad I retired and don't have to worry about upgrade!

I hate it when other peeps screw things the wrong way for people that uses it correctly!
Leave some one elses stuff alone(thats for Hackers and even thieves)

Sorry to hear Boss, Hope you get a TECH savvy bloke that can fix us!

Martin

Last edited:
•The Mobile app will be broken until we can find someone to update it. There is some technical voodoo around that I don't have a clue about. The web tech guy we had employed for installing it before is in the wind so we are looking for a new vBulletin support consultant. You would think there would be a lot of them. There isn't.

It may be worth considering switching to the Tapatalk app. It is free for forums to get set up and it is an awesome app. I use it for other forums I am on and seems to be the most used forum app.

• The Mobile app will be broken until we can find someone to update it. There is some technical voodoo around that I don't have a clue about. The web tech guy we had employed for installing it before is in the wind so we are looking for a new vBulletin support consultant. You would think there would be a lot of them. There isn't.

Drink some decaff, put on your big boy pants. New dog town on the way...

I've been using the Tapatalk Forum App with Bladeforums on my Android tablet and like it much better
than the custom Knifedogs app. Maybe it would be better to just ensure that Tapatalk works well for
Knifedogs?

we will have a mobile app set back up and it will support forum runner and I assume tapatalk also but that wasn't mentioned that I recall.

Update:

Our AWOL web tech support guy for KD here got in touch with us and is now back on the job.
He has us scheduled for our version upgrade next week some time. In the mean time he will be poking around the back end of the forum making sure all the switches are where they should be.

We also contracted a service that will routinely scan our set up for any malware or other hacks. Our first inspection has us coming up clean of any bad code which is what we want.

We are going to take more aggressive steps on banning some of the asian spammers that have been hitting us a couple times a day. We have avoided banning by IP since an IP could represent a lot of good people as well as spammers but at this point we need to do something. Banning 5 spammers a day is not the best use of any of the admin's or supermod's time.

Our crack web tech guy will also be getting us on the latest mobile apps...

more later..

Back