Large piece of Bubinga

Sean Jones

I have located a large piece of Bubinga. Roughly 6 feet in length 11 inches wide and 1 3/4 inches thick. I don't believe Bubinga needs to be stabilized.
Since it's far more than I could ever use, is there any interest from others here in cuts from it? I'm thinking $15 per piece. Each piece would be about 5 1/2 inches long X 1 3/4 inches x 2"

I'll be going to look at it tomorrow and make an offer.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Gotta agree with bladegrinder, the wood in the photo appears pretty light and without much potential. That said, we all know wood can look really sad and then pop out beautiful when wet with alcohol or an oil finish (example below; yes, bubinga). Maybe get the seller to take that piece out in good sunlight, splash it, then send you some better photos.
Bubinga.JPG

Doesn't appear to have much going for it ....pretty bland.
I like it. I think it will be useful and hopefully prettier when it's cleaned up more. I also want to do a diagonal end cut and see what that gives me. If it doesn't look good for knife handles I can make cutting boards out of it.

I also ended up with a Porter Cable 7" disc sander from the same guy.

I like it. I think it will be useful and hopefully prettier when it's cleaned up more. I also want to do a diagonal end cut and see what that gives me. If it doesn't look good for knife handles I can make cutting boards out of it.

Nice! Depending on what RPM that "sander" runs at, you might be able to get a guard for it and some grinding wheels.

Flap disks, hard stones (grinding wheels), flap wheels, whatever.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I mean, it's not super figured or whatever, but it looks like a pretty piece of wood.

Nice! Depending on what RPM that "sander" runs at, you might be able to get a guard for it and some grinding wheels.

Flap disks, hard stones (grinding wheels), flap wheels, whatever.

It came with about 50 sanding disks and also a few flap disks. I think there were a couple grinding wheels also. I haven't gone through everything in the tool box yet.

It came with about 50 sanding disks and also a few flap disks. I think there were a couple grinding wheels also. I haven't gone through everything in the tool box yet.
I'm not super crazy about safety stuff, but I feel like a grinder guard is a good idea whenever you can. Frankly, I DO use my grinder without a guard sometimes, but generally, it stays on. I'd be willing to bet you can find a guard for that machine.

You don't need it for sanding disks and I don't THINK you need it for flap wheels, but I know people who've had cutting disks blow up, and I imagine grinding wheels could do the same.

Back