ladderback dagger with a new box

lerman

finally i finished this project and took some better pics of the knife.

the box is hand made by me as well.

it's made out of oak, but it's not regular oak, i was tolled it's called rock oak i'n russian, anyway it's the most amazing piece of oak i'v ever seen' any info would be welcomed.

the side panels are stainless, and the inside is regular oak lined with blue velvet, and the top holds on four magnets.

d5.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d7.jpg

d6.jpg

d4.jpg

d3.jpg

tha knife wip
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?23625-ladderback-dagger-WIP

thanks for looking,
Lee Lerman.

Great work on both the knife and the box!

I'm trying to figure out how you did the handle...

ahhhh, I had missed the WIP before. Great pics and thank you for taking the extra time to document so well.

I can't tell you anything about the species of Oak but I can tell you why it looks the way it does.
Your piece was cut from a crotch section of an oak where two trunks join together.
If you split the two trunks apart and cut a slab parallel to the split surface the grain forms a cathedral shape.
The figure in this portion makes a pattern like a fountain.
With this figure inside the cathedral grain the grain and figure combined show a pattern that looks like a feather.
Hence the name "Crotch Feather".
Different woods show this pattern to varying degrees. Oak is one of the more dramatic ones.

Your piece was cut vertically from the center of the cathedral.

That is impressive Lee. I am working on a dagger style knife right now (my first attempt) and it has been a challenge. You did this one well!

Back