Lacquer saya techniques

Edwardshandmadeknives

Does anyone here do any Japanese lacquer? I’ve been looking online for techniques, and I can find a lot of cool examples of various textures and finishes, but I can’t seem to find “how” it’s done. I’m interested in doing this to chef knife saya, and I don’t plan on using actual Japanese lacquer since it’s basically concentrated poison ivy juice, so I would like to use clear polyurethane instead. If anyone has links or other info on how some of the finishes are accomplished, I would be interested in learning them so I can try it out.

Does anyone here do any Japanese lacquer? I’ve been looking online for techniques, and I can find a lot of cool examples of various textures and finishes, but I can’t seem to find “how” it’s done. I’m interested in doing this to chef knife saya, and I don’t plan on using actual Japanese lacquer since it’s basically concentrated poison ivy juice, so I would like to use clear polyurethane instead. If anyone has links or other info on how some of the finishes are accomplished, I would be interested in learning them so I can try it out.
I know nothing about Japanese lacquer finishes. With that said, I bet you could find a lot of good info if you look into musical instrument finishes.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Back