L6 Tool Steel

Carbon-0.75
Chromium-0.80
Manganese-0.70
Molybdenum-0.30
Silicon-0.25
Nickel-1.50

These numbers are just and example. Refer to the actual manufacturer for the exact chemistry.

L6 is a low alloy oil hardening tool steel. The high Nickel content makes it extremely tough. The edge holding isn't as good as other steels but it still makes a good knife. It is an excellent choice for big choppers and swords.
Here is a good starting point for heat treating L6. You may need to make adjustments to allow for maximize results on your equipment.
1. Heat to 1500-1550 and soak for 10-20 minutes.
2. Quench.
3. Temper twice for 2 hours each time. Temper between 350 & 1000 depending on application.

You may want to add Normalization or thrermal cycling heats to refine the grain. A good Normalization temp. is 1600.

I have heard old circular saw mill blades were L6, is this true? I heard they could be 15N20 also. Reason I ask is I have a old one around 3 ft diameter and not sure what it is. It is definitely tough and tough to grind even and drill even after annealing in wood ash.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

old saw blades could also be 80CrV2 or L2(which is a real broad spec). any good sources for flat stock? all i can find are rounds.

no guys, i meant old saw blades might be made out of 80CrV2 or L2. Sanvik shows on their site using 80CrV2(or a close relative) then welding on carbide blade tips.
does anyone know of a source for thin L6 flat bar? I can find rounds and >1/4" but nothing smaller.

I have heard old circular saw mill blades were L6, is this true? I heard they could be 15N20 also. Reason I ask is I have a old one around 3 ft diameter and not sure what it is. It is definitely tough and tough to grind even and drill even after annealing in wood ash.

I have used lots of old saw steel over the last 20 years of making. Most people believe if its saw steel its L-6. Not the case. Most the old saw steel is more common spring steel but still makes a decent blade. 15N20 will normally come from lumber mill bandsaw blades. Huge ones, anywhere from 8" wide to a foot wide.

a bit late to add to this i think , but frame saws are a great source of L6 and 80CRV2 ( in the newer blades )

pics a 80 CRV2 saw and a L6 saw ( L6 has the bend in it from getting jammed in a log i suppose and has more rust on it than the 80CRV2)

as far as i know 80Crv2 has only been used for these saw the last 10 years or so , so a older saw blade would be a good bet to be L6 ( older ones with little rust could be 15N20 i read but we dont use it much here as the timbers a tad tough for it ..)

Pics 634crsm.jpgPics 636crsm.jpg

these saws are used at mills that cut planks from hardwood logs here , if anyone would like some let me know , i bought about 12 large blades at the beginning of the year ( and will buy the used /broken blade next year too )

i make a pretty good folder with these and like the oxide that results , its stable non marking and is similar to parkerising in oil retention to limit rust

Last edited:
a bit late to add to this i think , but frame saws are a great source of L6 and 80CRV2 ( in the newer blades )

pics a 80 CRV2 saw and a L6 saw ( L6 has the bend in it from getting jammed in a log i suppose and has more rust on it than the 80CRV2)

as far as i know 80Crv2 has only been used for these saw the last 10 years or so , so a older saw blade would be a good bet to be L6 ( older ones with little rust could be 15N20 i read but we dont use it much here as the timbers a tad tough for it ..)

View attachment 48851View attachment 48852

these saws are used at mills that cut planks from hardwood logs here , if anyone would like some let me know , i bought about 12 large blades at the beginning of the year ( and will buy the used /broken blade next year too )

i make a pretty good folder with these and like the oxide that results , its stable non marking and is similar to parkerising in oil retention to limit rust
Thanks for the info! That sound about right to me. I have always heard the older saw blades were L6. I didn't know they changed them to 80 CRV2 though. That's nice to know.

Back