Kydex Press

SHOKR

20130124_213912.jpg

thats a press i'm working on
i saw a vid like it on youtube

real easy to build

that jack broke down (chinese, go figure) so will replace it with scissor one (this way i can control lifting and lowering)
i bought heat gun today, have a piece of kydex so will try as soon as i get the new Jack

i cut holes in the foam so it wont wiggle when pressing (i didnt want to glue because its temporary, pending success and how wood holds up)

if wood breaks i will replace it with metal

the guy in the video worked the jack with a drill instead of by hand, was neat!!

can do a WIP on that if anybody is interested, but you might find it online and its really simple anyway :)
i bought the foam locally, when i asked if it had any specs, the guy said and i quote ' thats the foam they make slipper soles from' its harder than neoprene, will see how it goes, if it doesnt work i'll buy online

if you have any tips for me though its all welcome!!

I've been meaning to think of a better way to do my kydex press, as right now I just close the hinge and tighten a c-clamp on it. Gotta be quick! hahah

Ideally, I'd like something that I can tighten in one move, maybe usine a cam system, but this may be an option as well.

This is as easy and quick as I could figure out. All from scraps laying around the shop. I attached a looped cord to my bench that slips over the handle for hold down pressure and put a slight kink in the hinge pin so it sticks a little to keep the board up. it work pretty slick and I can see what I'm doing.

Press1110.jpg
PressB1110.jpg

Rudy

Good looking presses, guys. Giving me some ideas to improve with. Mine's simpler yet, it's a 12"x 8"ish chunk of 3/4 plywood. It's only got a maximum pressure of 275 pounds, though. I put the first foam on the bench, get the heated kydex and knife where I want it, set the top foam and plywood and then put all my weight on it leaning on my forearms. Give it 5 minutes to set and it's worked great so far.

Thanks guys for sharing, few people told me mine is 'over kill' and 'complicated'

I like yours Rudy, the long wood gives leverage, i fail to see how you see well with it, o feel it covers/hides work?

i fail to see how you see well with it, o feel it covers/hides work?

What I meant was that I can lay out my components and get them clamped quickly. I heat the kydex right there in front of it on a steel plate. There's no dancing around the shop involved. Frank, with this design my hands are free to work or smoke up a storm.bananna1.gif

Rudy

Nah Shokr its not overkill as I have one somewhere in the shop almost just like yours except it uses a inner tube from a wheel barrow to compress the wood plates. I got the idea while doing a recert in an extrication class. We used the airbags to lift and stabilize an over turn car and so while doing all that I said to myself" I bet that would make a decent kydex press lol!

oh ok, thanks Rudy

Shane lol

anyway i will try this soon, just need few more supplies and figure few things out

Gave the press the first try today, worked fine, but the top part cracjed so i didnt apply all the pressure needed, will need more layers of wood or get metal plates and be done with it!
Will keep you posted with progress

If you need fairly close cut-to-size steel and other metals, onlinemetals.com usually has fair enough prices. Either that, or eBay. I don't know about your supply network but both sources have saved me a lot of trouble with a hand saw by getting thicker plate in the final cut size I needed.

This is as easy and quick as I could figure out. All from scraps laying around the shop. I attached a looped cord to my bench that slips over the handle for hold down pressure and put a slight kink in the hinge pin so it sticks a little to keep the board up. it work pretty slick and I can see what I'm doing.

Press1110.jpg
PressB1110.jpg

Rudy

Rudy what is the black foam looking material in the picture and where did you get it? I assume it is soft enough to give around the form of what you are pressing but, still firm enough to press with!

A lot of guys buy kydex press foam from knifekits.com and the homesite, usaknifemaker.com

Most any thick, closed cell (not like egg crate foam) will work. Some guys on lean budgets will get bedroll mats and cut them into squares, doubling them for the right thickness. Make sure it is smoooooooooth. Any texture in the foam will transfer to the kydex. Which, now that I think about it, could be cool depending on the design.

C craft,
The black stuff is neoprene rubber slabs, 6" x 12" x 3/4". Same stuff they make scuba suits out of. I got this stuff as "waste" in 4' x 12" strips from a gym . I think Boss's has the same stuff. It works dandy.

ArmySH2.jpg

Rudy

Last edited:
Skor I have to say that you will have trouble with the press . I just made on the other day I have to get my foam but wow the press has to be fast you only have a few seconds and then it will not mold properly. Just my honest opinion look at the tutorial Tracey did its an excellent press. Kellyw

HELLGAP:239785 said:
Skor I have to say that you will have trouble with the press . I just made on the other day I have to get my foam but wow the press has to be fast you only have a few seconds and then it will not mold properly. Just my honest opinion look at the tutorial Tracey did its an excellent press. Kellyw

Thanks, i dis a test run, it was 'ok' but it was my first time too so not sure about other factors
In the tutorial i saw the guy operated the scissor crank with a drill, so it went up and down real fast

I made a sheath today for one of the first knives I ve ever made. I used the electric frying pan now , when my wife and I got married some 25 plus years ago some one gave us a a warming tray for hot meals in bed. I pluged it in and it got to about 250 maybee 300. I tryed and the temperature of the kydex cooled to fast then I got my wifes hair dryer warmed the foam while reheating the kydex and it worked pretty good . I didnt stop there I got her frying pan out lol then set it at 325 the kydex got a little to hot I think and it stuck to the foam a little. I saw a you tube video that said use a piece of very light cotton to protect the foam so next time I will cut up some old Tshirts they stretch a little and try that. The sheath turned out awesome. I dont have a picture but it is really good to say the least. The mold took only an hour tops to make, I already can see how it could be better. I attatched a handle to the front and just lay the whole mold on the floor throw the knife in the hot kydex and then stand on it for 20 seconds while I wrap a wire around a screw in the plywood to hold it together for say 5 minutes and its all I would ever need. I will get some better foam but for now I have a camping pad foam . You will know if it works good after a couple knives but I really think it has to be fast acting or you loose some of the imprint. Kellyw

Back